• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Visor for my Deuce windshield

IMA944T

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHave figured out that the wipers on my Duece are only OK. After having some ice storms where the windshield iced over and the defroster being only Ok also I decided to try something different. Heater is moved inside cab. Made this visor for windshield. Comes out about 8 inches. Hood will still stay up, but if much wind I have a bungee cord to besure it doesn't drop on me. Works great. So next winter I will see if this helps. Easily removable. Made out of EMT electrical conduit and some heating/ac dust sheet metal. Rear of it has been bent so it comes up and over cab so it will let air out of the area below visor. Also going to reroute exhaust and will have pictures available soon.

steelandcanvas

Hood will still stay up, but if much wind I have a bungee cord to be sure it doesn't drop on me...
Don't you have a hood retention hook on the cowl? I don't know if it would work with the hood being 8" further away, but you could always fab some kind of extension up. You know you'll leave that bungee cord at home, and then you won't have a way to keep the hood up off the side of the road. Cool project though, first visor I've seen on a Deuce.

IMA944T

Next comes rerouting the exhaust. Exhaust will come up and then over across the lower part of the windshield. It will turn back up and dump onto of the cab but on the other side. Reason being is that when cold and icy the heat from exhaust tubing will radiate around the exhaust tubing. Plan on have a cover over the exhaust tubing that will cover about 3/4 of the OD of the tubing where the tubing crosses the lower part of the windshield. Bottom next to cowl will have gap as will the top thats couple inches from windshield. Heat from exhaust when driving will radiate from tubing and then up in front of windshield. Only have to change the air temp very slightly will heat air air flow. Hopefully it may have low pressure area under visor to hold slight amount of heat next to windshield. Exhaust doesn't get hot enough to do any damage when idling, so Im hoping it may help with wipers and windshield icing up.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far it works great. O problem driving down highway at 60 mph. Does help with sun coming in windshield too.
Wouldn't be nice if one of the hard top manufactures made the top with visor built in? Also, side window
visors are handy so rain doesn't come in when windows are cracked open a little to keep cab cooler.

Ford Mechanic

Good job man, way to think out of the box! Bet it's hard to see those traffic lights now though. I have to lean down to see them in mine if I'm the first one at the light. It was much easier to see with out the top on it the other week, but it was baking me in the cab sitting still. Now to mention all the hot stuff after it had been sitting.

IMA944T

So the first Ice rain came this weekend. Does the visor work? Heck yes!!!!!!!! As far as driving down the road it is great. Has the rear of it that goes up and over the cab and has about a 3/4 inch space to let air pass so it doesn't catch all the wind. The sun? Great!!!! No more glare. Rain and sleet. I parked it so the windshield was facing away from the incoming storm and the visor had a layer of ice and the windshield NONE!!! Driving down the road the windshield seems to stay ice free a lot better. Which made the job of the wipers easier.

IMA944T

The hood is a different problem. Had to use bungee cord to hold it up to be it didn't cut me in half. The hood does stay upright when put there on flat ground but wouldn't want to take the chance with a wind blowing or off level ground.