• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

visual difference turbo LDT 465-1C and 1-D

alfa59

Hi,

Tried to find old topics on the forum - but some link didn't work.
Can somebody tell me what the visual difference between the turbo of a LDT 465-1-C (whistler) and the turbo of a LDT 465-1-D (non whistler) is ?

Some pictures would be welcome

thanks

Chris

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a common misconception that people have. The "C" or "D" engine number has nothing to do with which turbo it has. A "C" engine can have a "D" turbo and vice-versa.

Only way to tell which turbo you have is by what it looks like or how it sounds. I don't have any pics but a "C" turbo looks kind of like a snail shell and a "d" turbo looks more round.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the "D" turbine housing is bolted to the center section and the "C" uses a v-band clamp.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any physical differance between "C " or "D" engines? Other than the name plate.
I think the "D" being a newer model had some minor changes. Seems like the newer style head gasket came out with the "D" but I could be wrong.

alfa59

Hi,

Thanks for the pictures and clearification !
Is it still correct that the thin one is the whistler turbo , whilst the thicker one (where the exhaust hose needs to be bolted) is the non whistler ?

regards,

Chris

alfa59

Tnx everybody for the help.

Now 2 last questions:

1. What is the sound difference between the "thin turbo " and the thicker one?

2. Is it OK to mount one of these on my 5 ton M54 truck with the LDS 465 engine?

Regards

Chris

reom35a2fluiter

Hello,

I have a question about the ldt-465-1d and ldt-465-1c turbo''s.
what is the difference between this turbo's.
Want I have found a c turbo, but I not sure of thit a c turbo is.
the first picture: left one c turbo and right is a d turbo. but I not sure

can you help me please about this.

Regards,
Stefan

Attachments

Craig C

C and D Turbo info

Anyone have a source for a rebuild kit for the "C".....mine is ready to take off and I sure don't want to kill the engine if it does.....

Can you replace the "C" with a "D" without any modification to existing mounted etc.

ccclifton@sbcglobal.net

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, they are a direct swap.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Clinto! for the link! I'm not even changing a turbo, but darn it, great reading!WSUCOUGARX does a fine job of teaching with visual aids! Always attempting to learn more! THANKS GUYS!

God bless,
Tony