• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Visually telling the year.

therbert

Is there a way to tell the year of a m35a2 by it's appearance. I learned more about it by people looking at the photo than what GL could tell me.

I added a picture incase there is..

Thanks

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Nope,From 1954 or whenever the first was built to 1988 or whenever the last was built they are identical externally.Only major difference was teh headlights on the early ones were low but that was so easy to change and sometimes newer trucks got changed to low headlights when body work was done.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If you want, pm me the vehicle serial number and registration number and I can most likely find it as long as it was Army owned.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Visually telling the year.

FreightTrain said:
Nope,From 1954 or whenever the first was built to 1988 or whenever the last was built they are identical externally.Only major difference was teh headlights on the early ones were low but that was so easy to change and sometimes newer trucks got changed to low headlights when body work was done.
Regarding the A2s I agree there are no changes, except may be different mirror styles.
But NOT since the early fifties when the first M35s came out! Basically the same dimensions yes, but there are many (minor) visible differences between gasser and MF version, like higher grille, different engine side panels, headlamp brackets, dash panel, cab floor tunnel, etc.
Yes, the early rubber mounted HL supports are easy to flip upside down, as well as the short segments of the grille, left to right. If it was a winch truck it came with the headlamps mounted high, otherwise low.

G.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
therbert said:
Is there a way to tell the year of a m35a2 by it's appearance. I learned more about it by people looking at the photo than what GL could tell me.
Thanks
I've been assembling a data base to do just that. However, I've been working on this for 3-4 years, and probably have another year to go.

The biggest problem is that there was such a wide interchangeabitlity of parts, and so many were repaired/modified. If they were all kept bone stock it would be easy!

Changes include:

Powerplant
exhaust routings
cab rear
door openings
drivers seats
steering wheels
tool box doors
inner fenders
horns
grilles
black out lights
guards for black out lights
types of wiring connectors
two-three minor differences in the M35-type cargo bed
wheels (riveted or welded)
transfer case

The list is long

Regards,
David

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yep, the list is long - while on the dash we could consider the two styles of headlight switch - three if you count the push button - and above the dash, different styles of wiper motors, the interior rear view mirror, style of dash board lights.....

it is a very long list indeed.

The Jeep guys - especially WWII ones - have all this stuff down to manufacturing plant, and in most cases the exact date. The time is coming - and I don't think it is too far off - that the G-742 is appreciated in a historical context, and all this type of info will be considered much more important than it is now.

DD

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I have noticed is that the expanded metal "stone guard" came stock on the later production trucks. Yes, you can add the stone guard kit to any truck, but at some point in time, they came from the factory with them. I know all the USAF 1987 on up models did.

The pic below, the truck has the stone guard on the grill. On the truck pic at the top of this thread, it doesnt.

Attachments

DanMartin

Emmado22,

Also notice that the air intake for the crew heater appears to be in a slightly different location on the newer trucks like ours...not on the driver's side swing-down engine-access panel, but just below it next to the marker light. Not sure if this is year-specific or if this is just a USAF thing.

Just something I've noticed...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
DanMartin said:
Emmado22,

Also notice that the air intake for the crew heater appears to be in a slightly different location on the newer trucks like ours...not on the driver's side swing-down engine-access panel, but just below it next to the marker light. Not sure if this is year-specific or if this is just a USAF thing.

Just something I've noticed...
Dan,

I believe it is a factory vs field-installed thing

David

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having trouble finding out the year of my new m35a2c. After reading DDoyle's book and his article in MVM I know it was contracted in 1970 and it has the "NK" numbering system and they didn't start putting the dropsides it their on class untill 1972. So the best I can tell it's at least a 1973 but not over a year or two more.
My other m35a2 is titled as a 1986 model but it's really a 1971. The engine says 1986 on the tag so I guess that is where they got that from. I know it's a 1971 because the numbering system used in that time period had the year in the registration number.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
m16ty said:
I'm having trouble finding out the year of my new m35a2c. After reading DDoyle's book and his article in MVM I know it was contracted in 1970 and it has the "NK" numbering system and they didn't start putting the dropsides it their on class untill 1972. So the best I can tell it's at least a 1973 but not over a year or two more.
My other m35a2 is titled as a 1986 model but it's really a 1971. The engine says 1986 on the tag so I guess that is where they got that from. I know it's a 1971 because the numbering system used in that time period had the year in the registration number.
You can PM me the VIN and or the registration number and I can probably help you.

The dropside thing is a little confusing. The first dropsides were operated by the Marines in Vietnam - still not sure if they were factory or depot produced. The first known factory-made dropsides apparently were assigned regular cargo truck VINs - only with the 1970 contract did the dropsides get a unique VIN prefix.

Regards,
David Doyle