• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Volt gauge wiring

rcb

Happy New Year to All !!!
Need help with M1028 volt gauge wiring... volt gauge needle does not move
when the ignition is turned on, in fact it never moves. I see that there are 2 wires going to the volt gauge, black and orange. The orange wire is always hot but I'm not sure what the black wire is for ?? I can't seem to trace the black wire anywhere. The test light will not come on when I put the tester between the orange and black wires. So, obviously the black is not grounding. Can anyone
tell me where the black wire goes ??
Thanks...
Bob

SmokeyDod

Take something and just tap "lightly" the face of the guage. Sometimes the needle hand just "stick" and jaring it a little will free it. My son's M1028 does this and for 4 years this is what he does if he wants to see it work. Just a simple check. Probably might not be your issue but you won't know until you try it. Good Luck.

dependable

There is a ground point for the 24v part of the dash wireing harness. It is a 6 prong ground terminal way up left under the dash, it is 6 or 8 inches away from the blackout switch. There should be one black wire hooked to it.

Crash_AF

The ground runs through one of the two black cube relays under the dash below where the stereo would be. One controls the voltmeter and the other controls the Gen 2 circuit. They are right beside the silver starter solenoid relay.

As a temporary check, you can swap the relays to see if the Voltmeter works. And if the Gen 2 doesn't work, the relay is probably bad. You can get the relays from any parts store. They are a standard Bosch relay that is used in many automotive applications. You can ask for an Air Conditioner relay for a 1989 Jeep Cherokee to get one that will work. If it has the little mounting tab molded into the top of it, just break it off.

Later,
Joe