• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage problem?

LOGGJAM

Hello All,

a new problem unfolded with my Deuce, here it is: with the engine idling the volt gauge in my truck registers in the green range as i increase the engine speed above 1500 RPM's the gauge jumps to the red range indicating excessive charging/voltage and the Alt. belts begin to squeal i am assuming that this could be the voltage regulator but i dont know where it is at or if it is internal with the Alternator

any help would be great !

thanks.

LOGGJAM

well, tested alternator and load tested batteries. The batteries were defineatly over charged, total voltage across is ~36.5 volts!! both were ~18V each, drained batteries down to 14v. each. Combined i had about 29 volts. Started engine and tried adjusting Rheostat as mentioned in PS pages no luck constant output of alternator is 36.5 volts engine idling, gauge in dash reads in the green range though. i checked voltage readings with two different meters a digital and a analog just to be sure. I did find that the small wire ~14ga that comes from the ignition switch was broken underneath the coating.

what is the purpose of this small wire?

acetomatoco

Thats the exciter wire for the alt. It should be the one that connects the charging circuit on your alt when you turn on your accessory switch. They do not like to be run with the switch off or disconnected for any length of time.. I would say you have fried the internal regulator in your alt. CME in Miami has an exchange program for rebuilds.

LOGGJAM

Re: RE: Voltage problem?

acetomatoco said:
Thats the exciter wire for the alt. It should be the one that connects the charging circuit on your alt when you turn on your accessory switch. They do not like to be run with the switch off or disconnected for any length of time.. I would say you have fried the internal regulator in your alt. CME in Miami has an exchange program for rebuilds.

pulled Alternator tested out side truck, found that Regulator is not controlling the voltage as required...made two beat 12 volt batteries have ~17 volts each now though!!!
Any way, does any one know where i would be able to get a schematic/diagram of the parts inside of the alternator, it is a Leece-Neville 3002AS (60A) going to wire in an external 24v. regulator and try that first before going with the exchange program.

thanks.

LOGGJAM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Voltage problem?

quarkz said:
http://www.prestolite.com/images_alts/partslist/3002AF_Form3994-294_parts_list.pdf
I just surfed Leece-Neville military, then took the one with 3002 and 24 v in the description and got the above exploded diagram.
Dis you search the SS site? A lot of SS links popped up in the same google search.

yeah i checked the SS site but only found the PS pages wasnt really sure where to check in the TM manuals though...new to the site, also i did google it but only found the 4000 series diagrams and troubleshooting from Leece-Neville im not sure how different they would have been but anyway Thanks for the link... :D

LOGGJAM

finally got the Alternator over charging issue fixed, disconnected the wiring to the factory regulator and wired in an external 24 volt Delco regulator works perfect. No more boiling batteries!!!
ll post some pics of the regulator and the wiring. this was a relatively easy fix and alot cheaper than getting a rebuilt alternator or even buying the factory Leece-Neville regulator.

Thanks All for the troubleshooting help... :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks