• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage reg for MEP-016A

wassbiplane

MEP-016A genset

Finally getting back to work on my voltage regulator----Has anyone found a suitable op-amp-comparator to replace the obsolete SQ-10A unit??
I did finally find the operating specs for the SQ-10A- but my electronic knowledge
peaked just after transistors replaced vacuum tubes<G>
Jerry

Isaac-1

I don't know if your trying to stay original or not, but someone either on here on the smokstak board recently replaced the shoe box sized voltage regulator on a MEP-018 with a cheap deck of cards sized Newage SX-460 clone and it seems to work ok. (SX-460 clone start at about $60 on ebay, real made in the UK Newage SX-460's go in the $300 range, some of the clones are built better than others) I suspect this would also work on a MEP-016.

Ike

p.s. checking the specs from my MEP-016b manual vs. the SX-460 it looks like a good match. SX-460 output min resistance 15 ohm, MEP-016b 22.6 ohms +/- 10%, SX-460 4 amps continous output 6 amps for 10 seconds, MEP-016B .9 amps full load, so plenty of extra to spare..

Last edited:

wassbiplane

Thank's so much Isaac---I was going to ask how the match was, but your answer seems plenty good.--

the cheap price on ebay doesn't include shipping from CHINA---they're about $100 from USA dealers.

Now, I'm wondering about the difference in circuitry between the SX-460A vs SX460B--$63 for B-vs $79 for
the SX 460A.Again , many thanks!! Jerry

Isaac-1

To confuse matters even more there is another ebay seller that list their SX-460 clones at 6 price points from $73-$124 with one they call their Super Class 1 SX-460 (the super has what may be better components and use actual wires with blade connectors for the jumpers). Of course if you keep climbing the price tree, you can a "real" SX-460 $240+shipping on ebay (assuming its not a fake). Personally if I were to order one off ebay I would at least get one that ships from the US you never know how long ones from China will take to arrive. I have bought a few ships from China items off ebay and had nearly forgot I ordered them when they showed up months later.

Ike

derf

I have one of those here in the box waiting to go on my 016E project.
It seems well made for a Chinese item.

wassbiplane

Howdy derf,

Do you remember the seller--gear fantasy--wz spark0577-?? looks like there's a lot of people selling the same thing for various prices--Thanks for the reply!! Jerry

derf

Twas Member id wzspark0577

It was like $65. I haven't used it, yet, but it seems as well made as any.
Nowadays even the expensive name brand stuff is made in China. Quality can vary, though.

wassbiplane

"lo again derf,

I d/l a pdf file for the instruction manual --it shows where to hook everything except the exciter field--I assume it would be a couple of the 5 terminals across the short end of the board--
but which 2?? it tells you to refer to the generator instructions--but we don't have anything
that mixes our MP 016A & this regulator-----you didn't get any more instructions with your unit did you??---Thanx again---JERRY---I'm still gonna try to find a substitute comparator for my old regulator---so hang on to yours,too--then we can have a spare also..

wassbiplane

I SEE NOW--said the blind man---2 of the 5 terminals on the short side of the board are marked --F-1 & f-2---IS THERE A "CHINAMAN'S CHANCE"THAT THESE ARE THE FIELD TERMINALS FOR WHICH i WAS SEARCHING???? <gg>

Isaac-1

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Sorry about being so late joining into the conversation today, but I was out in the back yard working on my generator (connecting my external 55 drum fuel tank and a pair of 20 amp accessory outlets) I bought a pair of 100 ft. T plug 20 amp 10/3 extension cords on sale last week to run power to the house in case out power outage, and all the outlets in my shed that are powered by the generator were 15 amp.

Ike

wassbiplane

YES ISAAC-!!! This is definitely the best instruction booklet----It shows F1 &F2 as the field connections with the polarity shown as F1= + and F2=-.. also the power/sensing connections go to terms 7&8.---Would not the best place to connect
the regulator to the generator be terminals 24 & 27 on the old regulatorstrip=(F! & F2 -the side outlet for 120v) and use the jumper on term 3&4 on the regulator.---Jerry

http://www.dieselgeneratorsmiami.com/recursos_tecnicos/NEWAGE-SX460-AUTOMATIC-VOLTAGE-REGULATOR.PDF