• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltage Regulator burnt

JDILLIARD

Was driving my M998 in today and noticed a burning smell and noticed my batteries were showing in the yellow. Checked it out once I got home and found the voltage regulator had arced and burnt. Question is do I just need a new alternator/ voltage regulator or do I have other underlying issues?

Back story to this is the past few times I've driven it, I've noticed two things. 1. The "WAIT" light flashes instead of staying solid. (Thought no big deal, just a bad glow plug) 2. The first 5-10 minutes after starting it, it shows to be overcharging and then levels out into the green.

This HMMWV is completely factory other than I just recently had a Restomod A/C system installed. But these issues were present prior to this installation.

I've attached an image of the regulator for reference because I know there are a few different alternators for these. TIA for any help.thumbnail_IMG_4838.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is not the regulator, that is the terminal cover, the terminals inside are burned up, this alt and wiring will need some major repair.
I am not sure what is going on in front of the cover, looks like some arcing was going on outside the cover.
Take the cover off and snap another picture, disconnect the batteries first.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a lesson to be learned here, you should investigate any abnormalities in the electrical system before they turn into major damage.

JDILLIARD

That is not the regulator, that is the terminal cover, the terminals inside are burned up, this alt and wiring will need some major repair.
I am not sure what is going on in front of the cover, looks like some arcing was going on outside the cover.
I will as soon as I can. It has only been driven a handful of times since the issue started. It was my understanding that the voltage regulator was the back cap on the alternator (the entire black plastic on the back of the alternator). I know you have terminals under that cover as well as a pilot screw to adjust the regulator output

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will as soon as I can. It has only been driven a handful of times since the issue started. It was my understanding that the voltage regulator was the back cap on the alternator (the entire black plastic on the back of the alternator). I know you have terminals under that cover as well as a pilot screw to adjust the regulator output
The regulator is the back aluminum portion of the alt, looks like this from the outside.
REG.jpg
There is usually no visible indication when it fries, since you stated it was overcharging at times it is likely is also toast but that is not what you are seeing right now, that is the terminals

JDILLIARD

Here's a pic with that cover off. Definitely got hot.
thumbnail_IMG_4850.jpg

JDILLIARD

So definitely new alternator. Is there anything else I should check? I have heard people having overcharging issues due to a module under the dash?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So definitely new alternator. Is there anything else I should check? I have heard people having overcharging issues due to a module under the dash?
No the overcharging issues are with the alt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks