• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltmeter died

Hasdrubal

Happened first time about 7 years ago, changed out the relay, still nothing. A local CUCV guy sent me a used resistor that sits on the back of voltmeter. Worked until the other day. Does anyone have a working resistor kicking about that they could spare?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Install a 24v voltmeter and never worry about it again.
ISSPRO and VDO both make excellent ones.
IMG_4006.jpg

MarcusOReallyus

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

Hey.. practically everything on my truck is used..man.

So, did some reading here, seems that I could use a 5 w 300 ohm resistor. If one were to use 2 x 150 ohm resistors, are they still 5 w each and are they installed parallel or in series?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing I reread this with my glasses on, the first time I read it I thought a "volunteer died"...

It pays to reread!rofl

Hasdrubal

So I read someone used 2 150 ohm 1/2 w resistors. So, its not 5 w its .5 w? Or it doesn't matter - bigger is better?

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold a few NOS factory CUCV 12v voltmeters a few months ago.
None of them had the resistor on back and worked perfect when plugged into factory CUCV plug that is 24v.
Guess they made later internal changes that allowed this.
Part numbers were same, just early to mid 90s manufacture dates. Don't remember exactly.

Doesn't answer your question. Just some trivia

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

So I read someone used 2 150 ohm 1/2 w resistors. So, its not 5 w its .5 w? Or it doesn't matter - bigger is better?
It must be 300 ohms.

As far as wattage, bigger is better. You would be fine with a 2 watt, but do NOT go lower. 5 watts would be the cat's meow. Two 150s should go in series to make 300 ohms. If you put them in parallel, they would make 75 ohms.

Hasdrubal

Going by the 1/2 w rating on other threads. I picked up some 300 Ohm 1 watt resistors. I see that you said do not go lower than 2. Why is that?

MarcusOReallyus

Ohm's Law. 24 volts through 300 ohms gets you 0.08 amps and 1.92 watts. I'm not sure of the circuit diagram, though. I haven't had a reason to mess with it. IF that 300 ohms is in series with 300 ohms presented by the voltmeter (which is easy to believe), then you are okay at a half watt. You'll be dissipating .48 watts in that case.

Still, that's running pretty close to the edge, and a larger wattage would be more robust. Toss a 5 watt in there and it will probably never burn out again. As long as it's 300 ohms, you could run a 100 watt resistor in there, and it would work just fine. Probably wouldn't fit, though! :D

Hasdrubal

Finally installed the new resistor. Works..but it reads too high. When its running its right of the tick mark, under the E of GEN. Is the 300 ohm value correct for this application? I checked the resistor code, its 300 but the tolerance band is gold, which is 5%. Could this be the issue?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tick mark isn't absolute.
Sounds like you have healthy alternators.
As long as your not in the red your ok.

Did you see with a DMM what it's reading? (Alts)

Mine has always been past the tick mark.
But I use a 24v ISSPRO numbered and colored gauge.

Rvitko

Are you sure the resistors have no contact to the gauge housing? Best way is to leave the old broken resistor under as an insulator.

MarcusOReallyus

If you want to dial it in to be accurate, you can substitute a variable resistor and tweak it until you get your gauge to match a DMM reading.

Probably not worth the trouble, though.

Hasdrubal

Yes, left the old resistor there, so no contact against the case. Wish I had managed to source an original OEM resistor. Yes that's right.. a used resistor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks