• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltmeter not working.

cjkeeliii

I have an '85 m1008 and the voltmeter doesn't work. The guy I bought it from said the military unhooks them, but I can't find any unhooked wires behind the dash. Are they un hooked somewhere else or is this guy pulling my leg? Anyone got a source on replacements? Saturn Surplus has some advertised but says they won't work on CUCV's.

Thanks

Knowledge is a tool, not an ornament.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yes Welcome, Please feel free to use the Chaplains Forum for any spiritual needs.

My 84 Voltmeter works and these are an MWO that was put on them after the Army first got them because I got a brand new 84 issued to me as a 2LT Transportation officer in the 104th Trans Co and it did not have one installed. After they went off warranty and so many of them were having issues with the batteries and alternators the Army put them in as a visual indicator to the driver to show if there was a problem. The meter should go slightly in the amber just after the glow plugs cycle and the truck is started then climb slowly into the green and stay there. If you are driving and it dips to amber you either have a belt slipping or an alternator issue. We had to do quite alot to ours when we first got it including rebuilding the alternators and putting in new batteries. Still not a bad deal considering it was a truck with only 50K miles for the price we paid.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a meter that was also bad. It was the ceramic resistor on back at the hot wire. Some have the resistor mounted externally. I tested the meter without the resistor and it is a 12vdc meter. The resistor cuts the 24vdc down to 12vdc before entering meter. I attached a new Ceramic 300 ohm resistor and it works fine with 24vdc now.
Greg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a Ceramic 300 ohm I got off Ebay, ..has to be the rectangle type block looking one to handle the power. I had to buy 10ea. I have extras..........Need Some ?
I can go buy some padded envelops to send some out... send me a few bucks to my Paypal .
Greg

gillean

so you just bypassed the resistor and tested the meter without it and that told you the resistor was the weak link? nifty, i'll have to pull mine and give that a shot tonight because that damn meter has been on zero since i had the truck

acetomatoco

They also have a fuse.. check your schematic in the manuals... Just take your meter out and hook it up to the 24 volt buss bar and you will see if it works or not.

Michael

There is a whole section in the TM on troubleshooting the volt meter. From memory there is a fuse and a relay involved. But, most have a bad resister as mentioned above. The TM is going to tell you to just replace it.

CCATLETT1984

86humv said:
I had a meter that was also bad. It was the ceramic resistor on back at the hot wire. Some have the resistor mounted externally. I tested the meter without the resistor and it is a 12vdc meter. The resistor cuts the 24vdc down to 12vdc before entering meter. I attached a new Ceramic 300 ohm resistor and it works fine with 24vdc now.
Greg
I've sent you two PM's would like to get some of the resistors from you, or at least the company that you got them from. Please respond when you get this.

kentuckycucv

I am reposting this on the Resistor fix:

:idea:I just went to Radio Shack. I showed the guy the picture of ^ that green resistor and they didn't have one that big. They had no 300 Ohm resistors. What they did have was a 5 pack or 150 Ohm 1/2 watt resistors for 99 cents. Well I figured I could waste 99cents on an experiment. I twisted 2, 150ohm resistors in line and hooked them up.... Guess what happened????
It worked! I :p now have a working volt meter.