• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Voltmeter question???

SGTskully

My voltmeter stopped working lately and come to determine that the ceramic resistor on the back is bad. I cant find one listed ar in a tm anywhere. Does anyone know the value of this item as I caould find an equivalent somewhere and just replace it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it part of the voltmeter, then replace the voltmeter itself.

Just my $0.02 cents...
CJ, the resistor is external from the VM. No need to replace the VM unless it's bad. Just my .03 cents. Inflation you know.

cpf240

Combining resistors? 300 ohms is a common value. It should be readily available. What's the wattage rating?
I believe it was done to create something to handle the load. Also, keep in mind that this is just what I remembered off the top of my head, I have not re-read the thread(s) in question. I'm not sure Rat Shack carries the heavier-duty power resistors anymore, or at least not in their brick-and-mortars.

Super Duper easy fix.... either get a 300Ohm reisistor or link 2 150 ohms... Search.... Search my friend... you will find the answer you seek.... I had to do the same mod about 8-9 months ago... Been working perfect ever since....

MarcusOReallyus

Don't just go out and buy a couple of 150s and think you are done. You need to know the wattage rating. If the original is a 1 watt resistor, you need 1/2 watt 150s in series. If you use a couple of .10 watt 150s in series, they are going to go up in smoke.

Oh, and don't put them in parallel. That will give you 75 Ohms. Smoke!

SGTskully

Thanks All just needed the value its not marked on anything. I have a degree in electronics so the repair is no biggie just didnt have a value.

combatmech

Don't just go out and buy a couple of 150s and think you are done. You need to know the wattage rating. If the original is a 1 watt resistor, you need 1/2 watt 150s in series. If you use a couple of .10 watt 150s in series, they are going to go up in smoke.

Oh, and don't put them in parallel. That will give you 75 Ohms. Smoke!
That's how I fixed mine..... Has been working for three years now, no issues.

MarcusOReallyus

There's a wide gap between "getting lucky" and "doing it right".

Sometimes you get lucky. Doesn't mean you did it right. You happened to get a couple of 150s that were the right wattage for the job (so far). So the next guy who takes your route might not, because he doesn't know any better.

combatmech

This is very true. I am no electrician by any means. Upon further review of my information and looking through my pre-x bin, I used one 330 ohm, 1/2 watt 5% tolerance resistor. ********* My apologies Marcus. *************

Nacademus

That half-watt is too low, and your resistance is too high. I found, with my volt gauge, that at almost exactly 300 ohms (3x100 ohm in series), 1 watt a piece- I measured exactly HALF of what I was getting from the high alternator.

You could also put in a pot instead of the resistors and adjust it down to wherever you calibrate is half the total value.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks