• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Volvo TP 21 Sugga Camo Pattern

bbftx

I got a laugh while researching the camo pattern used on my recently acquired Volvo TP-21 Sugga radio car.
In the late 1970's I believe, Swedish military began using the 4-color, sharp line, geometric pattern camo that is found on many ground vehicles and aircraft. It is often referred to as "M/90". I was looking for patterns used to paint particular vehicle types. There is a manual that has pictures of about 13 or 14 patterns for specific ground vehicles. There isn't a specific pattern for the Sugga, but as the picture below shows, whoever painted my Sugga borrowed much of the pattern from the closest profile they could find --- a Volvo Station Wagon (or Kombi, as the Swedes call it).

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always liked that camo pattern.
The Swedish vehicles I saw painted with it in the early '80s were very exact in layout, there appeared to be no deviation in pattern placement from vehicle to vehicle. It was also extremely effective in that 'temperate woodland' terrain.

Cheers

Last edited:

davidkroberts

i really like that command car. Either that one or another like it was on ebay motors awhile back but i dont have much use for one right now. I liked it allot though.

Thats an awesome camo pattern. Makes me wonder how some of my other more exotic MV's would have looked with something similar.

Ryden

The pattern is very carefully calculated and the ratio between the different colours is also strict.
The army put a great deal of thought into this, for a while whe had two different sets of colours, one for the dominating spruce forrests and one for the decidous forrests in the southern parts. I only saw that on uniforms though, never on the vehicles.

bbftx

Desert Camo

The army put a great deal of thought into this, for a while whe had two different sets of colours, one for the dominating spruce forrests and one for the decidous forrests in the southern parts. I only saw that on uniforms though, never on the vehicles.
Hej Ryden-

I'm also a fan of the Swedish öken camo (desert) M90/K as used on the ISAF uniforms. I have even considered repainting the Sugga in this scheme, although it's a uniform-only pattern in real life. I've even mocked up a photo of the Sugga in these colors.
MVH,

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

December 9th, 2012.

Love the Sugga, bbf tx:

The woodland 4 color is interesting, the desert might work well around Austin if the drought continues, but I had a deuce in 686A Tan, and they couldn't see it in daylight in Paris,(Tx) which is almost piney woods, so do be aware, you will likely get run into or over.... Of course, unless it is a very large truck, you'll probably win!:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks