• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VSN or MFG Serial No. for Registration?

Mavcaster

Is it best to use the VSN or is everyone just using the Manufacturer S/N for the VIN on the registration forms?

EDIT: Nevermind, stupid question, I see GovPlanet uses the MFR Serial No. as the VIN. I’m a dumb…mod please delete.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

It was a valid question.

Where people often run into issue is the number of digits in the "VIN". Many (most) state computer systems req all 17 digits (and in the standardized format). It's technically not allowed that they add arbitrary numbers to fill in the missing numbers (although some will clerks fudge it with zeros or letters).

Insurance companies hit the same snag (especially if a registration clerk substituted a zero or letter for the title).

Former mil vics and special construction vics (dune buggies, etc) run into this all the time and it can be a PITA to get resolved most of the time.

Mavcaster

It was a valid question.

Where people often run into issue is the number of digits in the "VIN". Many (most) state computer systems req all 17 digits (and in the standardized format). It's technically not allowed that they add arbitrary numbers to fill in the missing numbers (although some will clerks fudge it with zeros or letters).

Insurance companies hit the same snag (especially if a registration clerk substituted a zero or letter for the title).

Former mil vics and special construction vics (dune buggies, etc) run into this all the time and it can be a PITA to get resolved most of the time.
Thanks well we’ll see tomorrow at the tag office when I go to try and get a title.

Mavcaster

Welp getting the runaround because they (GA) won’t accept the notarized reassignment to me from Ritchie Bros of the SF97 which is between the gov and Ritchie Bros. They’re saying Ritchie Bros has to title it then transfer to me…

KaelBryant

Welp getting the runaround because they (GA) won’t accept the notarized reassignment to me from Ritchie Bros of the SF97 which is between the gov and Ritchie Bros. They’re saying Ritchie Bros has to title it then transfer to me…
I'm waiting on a title from them myself. Everyone said just get the SF97 then I hear the things like this from some counties. I'm in White, what county are you in?

Mavcaster

I'm waiting on a title from them myself. Everyone said just get the SF97 then I hear the things like this from some counties. I'm in White, what county are you in?
I’m in Coweta. Did your county accept the SF97 then or are you waiting on a title from Ritchie Bros?

Mavcaster

They’re so contradicting saying they accept SF97s but not one with a notarized letter transferring it to me (basically a bill of sale). I refuse to believe I’m the first one trying to get a title from a transferred SF97 from Richie Bros. I’m headed back to Maryland today actually so going to continue trying to get them to see the light on this over email but if not then i will try a different (more conservative) county that I also have property in.

Third From Texas

And technically, they are correct. Same thing with RB and Texas when I went to register my trailer. They gave me tons of grief for having the title reassignment from RB. RB are not a licensed car dealer in the State of Texas and cannot legally reassign a title. The solution was supposed to have been to pay RB to have them get me a FL title but after years of them givingme the run around and telling me that I don't need it I gave up. Registered it in another state under my company there.

A lot of it is which clerk and the manager you get at Titles and registration.

Third From Texas

They’re so contradicting saying they accept SF97s but not one with a notarized letter transferring it to me (basically a bill of sale). I refuse to believe I’m the first one trying to get a title from a transferred SF97 from Richie Bros. I’m headed back to Maryland today actually so going to continue trying to get them to see the light on this over email but if not then i will try a different (more conservative) county that I also have property in.

Good luck. That's the same exact situation and response I got from them down here when I was going thru this. RB has the gov transfer the vic into their name. Then RB transfers it to you via title reassignment. It's like if you tried to do that, you can't unless you are a licensed car dealer in the state (and RB isn't).

It can be a mess...but if you look at it all, your clerk is correct. You need a title from BR. The reassignment paper is worthless. It's still RB's truck until you get a title or separate BOS from RB stating otherwise saying otherwise.

Mavcaster

Everything that I read beforehand pointed towards the SF97 being the safest and when I called the tag office before purchasing they said yeah won’t be a problem but then I got the reassignment letter and everything changed. Guess I should have just went the title route from the beginning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks