• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

W400 Air Force Ambulance. got some paint on 'er

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: W400 Air Force Ambulance. got some paint on

It doesn't look too bad in green, I guess. Looks pretty good, as a matter of fact, even though I'm a bit prejudiced towards the blue. Regarding your suggestion about camo, Elwenil, I can't say that I ever saw an ambulance in camo paint. They were meant to be seen and identified. That's the whole purpose of the big red cross on the equally big white background. Per the Geneva Conventions, it is a serious war crime to "take out" an ambulance!

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial

Thanks for the "update." I know that the times do change...I just didn't realize how much they've changed, miliitary-wise. It seems like only a year or two has elapsed since I retired from the AF, whereas it has actually been 19 years come 01 Oct 08. Where did the time go?? :(

Elwenil

Lol, 19 years ago I was drooling over getting my Learner's Permit! But my first MV was a '67 M715 so my introduction to MVs was before the camouflage era to a certain extent. I love the vintage look of an authentic OD paint job with markings but for some reason I fell in love with the 3 color pattern. The only pattern that catches my eye is the Russian pattern on the BMD-3 below.

As for Ambulances in camouflage, I can only assume that they need to be camouflaged as well as their presence can give away troop and equipment movements as easy as a tank or APC.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Starting in with the CUCv's
the red cross is no longer a sticker or paint like the M886's, M725's & prior ambulances.
like the humvee ambulance pictured above, the red cross's can be "folded up" and the camo then aids in hiding it when not being used as an ambulance.

Anyway one of the reasons that Strata blue didn't get selected was the amount of work needed to prep the truck for a gloss paint.
The lusterless green hides imperfections nicely.
If I were to camo I would go with the 70's 4 color MERDC pattern like my M880
That 3 color stuff is too new, lol
as a side note, while this ambulance was originally strata blue, current AF regs call for white with an orange strip.

here is another pic of the W400, taken by '67beast'
http://steelsoldiers.com/modules/PNphpBB2/files/dsc_0812_178.jpg

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: W400 Air Force Ambulance. got some paint on

Bob H said:
...one of the reasons that Strata blue didn't get selected was the amount of work needed to prep the truck for a gloss paint.
The lusterless green hides imperfections nicely.
Aha! There was method in your madness after all! You're absolutely right about flat colors hiding the "imperfections."

Thanks for the info on the "folding" red crosses, too. Kinda like hazmat placards, huh?

nikoly

w400

I Have a 1980 w400 for sale I would gladly send pictures if anyone knows a intetested buyer. Mint condition 320-280-0069
Call or text. Thank u.

steelandcanvas

I Have a 1980 w400 for sale I would gladly send pictures if anyone knows a intetested buyer. Mint condition 320-280-0069
Call or text. Thank u.
That's nice. Now buy a premium membership and put it in the classifieds for sale. You jacked the guys thread describing his paint job on his ambulance. Not good thread etiquett.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks