• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WA registration issues

erasedhammer

Can't say I'm surprised here, my state seems to be outrageous when it comes to getting plates for anything military related...

Heres a quick backstory,

Bought this truck with maryland title, title has nothing regarding model, just 1986 chevy. The WA DoL looked it up and found it to be a D30 by the VIN, then realized somehow that its a 'military vehicle' so automatically makes registration complicated.

So they said they needed an MSRP value to even issue plates. Since apparently they don't already have that value, they said that I could go to a dealership and get some documentation showing an appraised value.
I asked why they need the value, and apparently they require it for every vehicle to issue plates.

Anyone from Washington ever have this problem?

IdahoJoe

I've registered 3 CUCVs in WA. They all went through ok. It's not the state, it's King county. They are going to tax you on a fairy tale depreciated MSRP for the Sound Transit scam.

Based on the NIIN on the door jamb, you get get the original price to the government. PM me if you want help.

erasedhammer

I've registered 3 CUCVs in WA. They all went through ok. It's not the state, it's King county. They are going to tax you on a fairy tale depreciated MSRP for the Sound Transit scam.

Based on the NIIN on the door jamb, you get get the original price to the government. PM me if you want help.
They want to tax me $100 due to the gross vehicle weight...

I'm not sure if they ONLY want an assessed value from a dealership, but thats the example they gave me. If there is any official documentation that states a price then I would love to have it.

cucvrus

They want to know what you paid for it to collect sales tax. Do you have a "Bill of Sale" ? That would help. In Pennsylvania we pay tax on every vehicle every time it is sold. I learned a long time ago. Just pay the tax. Don't fabricate a price so you pay less tax. Just pay the tax. I sold my 2014 Silverado to a friend in Indiana. He wanted the truck and I explained that me selling it to him will cost me the tax when my 2019 arrives. He studied the market and took into consideration that my truck only had 23K miles on it and paid me the tax of the money I would have received as a trade in. So if Washington wants the tax money just get a " Bill of Sale" or a trade in appraisal at a dealer. In Pennsylvania we have books that give a value. Just be honest so it don't bite you back sometime. The VIN lists it as a D30 Postal vehicle. When I took my CUCV to the dealer for service it said Miltilamut or something on the vehicle type. The GM dealers computer printed the work order and that was how it was listed. Good Luck. Have a Great Weekend and hope you get thru the DMV soon. We were posting at the same time. If they only want $100. pay it and move on. $100. don't buy much nowadays.

erasedhammer

They want to know what you paid for it to collect sales tax. Do you have a "Bill of Sale" ? That would help. In Pennsylvania we pay tax on every vehicle every time it is sold. I learned a long time ago. Just pay the tax. Don't fabricate a price so you pay less tax. Just pay the tax. I sold my 2014 Silverado to a friend in Indiana. He wanted the truck and I explained that me selling it to him will cost me the tax when my 2019 arrives. He studied the market and took into consideration that my truck only had 23K miles on it and paid me the tax of the money I would have received as a trade in. So if Washington wants the tax money just get a " Bill of Sale" or a trade in appraisal at a dealer. In Pennsylvania we have books that give a value. Just be honest so it don't bite you back sometime. The VIN lists it as a D30 Postal vehicle. When I took my CUCV to the dealer for service it said Miltilamut or something on the vehicle type. The GM dealers computer printed the work order and that was how it was listed. Good Luck. Have a Great Weekend and hope you get thru the DMV soon. We were posting at the same time. If they only want $100. pay it and move on. $100. don't buy much nowadays.
Bill of sale was provided to them. Sale amount too, they will not take the amount I paid as a "retail assessment value".

DeadParrot

If the dealer can't find a value for it as a CUCV, see if they can provide a MSRP for a 6.2 diesel K30 w/auto trans since that is basically what these CUCVs are with a few extra 24v bits added on. They are otherwise pretty much what used to be sold as a basic work truck.

erasedhammer

If the dealer can't find a value for it as a CUCV, see if they can provide a MSRP for a 6.2 diesel K30 w/auto trans since that is basically what these CUCVs are with a few extra 24v bits added on. They are otherwise pretty much what used to be sold as a basic work truck.
Yeah I'm in contact with a dealer now seeing if he can write something up the government will accept...

1StumpJumper

Trust me, this is VERY standard and has little to do with it being a military vehicle. They want tax dollars. Period. I have dealt with this crap with dozens of vehicles in WA. They used to use an "Old car price guide for values. No dealer will have the MSRP they are looking for. I recommend finding the government NSN price.

IdahoJoe

This does have to do with being a military vehicle. MSRP is available for most vehicles. The DMV people can't find it for Military vehicles.

This is not just about sales tax. They will charge that (use tax), gross vehicle weight tax and in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties they will charge excise tax. The use tax is when you title it, the other two are every time you renew the registration. See the link below.

https://www.soundtransit.org/get-to...transit/car-tab-motor-vehicle-excise-tax-mvet

The one they have troubles with is getting MSRP for a vehicle that was never sold to the public to calculate their goofy excise tax. The scam part is that they don't use current value, they calculate some depreciated value that has nothing to do with current value.

The original price paid by the government (found easily by searching using the NIIN) would work for MSRP.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

This does have to do with being a military vehicle. MSRP is available for most vehicles. The DMV people can't find it for Military vehicles.

This is not just about sales tax. They will charge that (use tax), gross vehicle weight tax and in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties they will charge excise tax. The use tax is when you title it, the other two are every time you renew the registration. See the link below.

https://www.soundtransit.org/get-to...transit/car-tab-motor-vehicle-excise-tax-mvet

The one they have troubles with is getting MSRP for a vehicle that was never sold to the public to calculate their goofy excise tax. The scam part is that they don't use current value, they calculate some depreciated value that has nothing to do with current value.

The original price paid by the government (found easily by searching using the NIIN) would work for MSRP.
Well if they want a depreciated value, a dealership makes sense. At least in their eyes.

Could turn out in my favor considering my truck is full of rust... less tax perhaps.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your insurance man may be able to work out a depreciated value- after all that's what they'll pay out if you wreck it.

I never had any issue but mine was plated when I bought it.

The only problem I had was my insurance company refused to believe the VIN. I finally had to take a picture of the VIN plate and email it to them.

erasedhammer

Your insurance man may be able to work out a depreciated value- after all that's what they'll pay out if you wreck it.

I never had any issue but mine was plated when I bought it.

The only problem I had was my insurance company refused to believe the VIN. I finally had to take a picture of the VIN plate and email it to them.
I called my insurance company, usaa, and they said they don't have any documentation they can give me on assessed value since apparently I gave them the valued price... which I didn't. Their system said a 1986 chevy D30 is worth 15000...

nyoffroad

I called my insurance company, usaa, and they said they don't have any documentation they can give me on assessed value since apparently I gave them the valued price... which I didn't. Their system said a 1986 chevy D30 is worth 15000...
I have a couple that I'd sell to them or anyone for 15 grand!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks