• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WA State Collector Vehicle Plates and Weights?

Gypsyman

I'm considering putting collector vehicle plates on the Deuce and the M105A2 due to the low mileage that I drive each year. On the Deuce how do collector plates effect the weight ratings that need to be reported? I'm asking because I noticed that the registration list the scale weight at about 8500 lbs (like a pickup) and the gross at just 10,000. I don't recall being asked about either of these weights when I transferred the title from Utah so I'm not sure where they came up with them.

I do want to get the weights corrected in the event that I'm stopped.

Last edited:

Gypsyman

After more digging and asking a few questions it appears that a commercial vehicle in Washington State with a GVWR of 16.001 pounds or more requires a DOT number but the very next line on the form states that personal vehicles don't require one. Maybe I just need to find a different DOL office.

Last edited:

MrMikey4026

After more digging and asking a few questions it appears that any vehicle in Washington State with a GVWR of 16.001 pounds or more requires a DOT number. How are we working around these GVWR requirements?
Not true, if you are not providing a commercial service you have a commercial vehicle for private use, no DOT number required. Find a better licensing agent. I was told the same thing, went to an agent with more commercial experience and no problems. Washington does call anything over 16000 a commercial truck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's the way that I'm reading the attached form. Line 7 appears to override line 6 even if line 2 is marked "Yes" but I haven't been able to verify that.
I hate to say it, but it's the gooberment.
They all have the same book.
But each one one of them interpret it differently.

Each state is different too, but as a private individual with a historic and collector vehicle - generally - the DOT folks and the local police will leave you alone. Especially if you are just rumbling down the road not breaking the local laws. If you are doing commercial work with your truck, hang on to your hat because it will be obvious when you drive past John Law several times with a new load of cargo on the back of your Deuce...

They aren't always smart but they do have pretty good powers of observation.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I'm late.

1. CDL is only required if over 26K and used in commerce.
2. DOT # is only required if over 26K and used in commerce.
3. Collectors vehicle plates require the vehicle be registered first, which entails paying tonnage, HOWEVER, there's a little known law allowing you to pay tonnage monthly, meaning you can pay annual tonnage / 12. So, instead of paying, say, $500, you're only paying $42.
4. There is no weight restriction for collector vehicles.

Dale had this issue with his deuce. He was told it 'had to be commercial' and 'needed a DOT#', so he complied... Then when he realized that it WASN'T a commercial vehicle, they gave him crap trying to fix it because 'it had to be a commercial vehicle, because it had a DOT#'... LOL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks