• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WA state m923a2 registration

res0wc18

so i found an out of state bobbed truck in that is titled etc that has M923A and its cutoff because of the spacing leaves only room for those 5 letters so all it says is M923A

he has it at 26k gvwr.

am i going to have issues getting it titled here?

will i need a CDL>?

i thought we could do anything under 26001 and be good? i know there is some year crap too isnt there?

Ducatista

I made sure my SF97 listed GVWR as 26,000 lbs exactly. The exempts the need for CDL. The only catch is that a CDL would be needed if towing.

The other option I have heard of for Washington residents is to apply for Farm Plates.

REO 54

There is also option of collector plates too. Farm plates limit your travel ( 100 miles buy air radius). Also to note, that air over hydrulics need an air brake endorsement these days. I am currently in CDL training. Things have changed a lot with the CDL program in the past few years.

FYI: in Washington, " certain military commercial drivers may be waived from having to take a skills test when applying for a Washington CDL" - CDL Handbook,Wa state.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was advised by WSP, and quite a few other states that I drove through (called ahead) on the trip from NC to WA... that a CDL is only required if the vehicle is being used for commercial purposes.

In WA, there is an air brake endorsement, but ONLY for CDL drivers, so if you don't need a CDL, you CAN NOT get an air brake endorsement, and since one is not required/needed, you're good to go.

What was explained to me, is that my license class covers vehicles that would be driven in my state, even if state laws differ, due to agreements between the states.

I drove back, on a regular license, no CDL, and bypassed all the weigh stations.. Not one issue.

I was advised by a couple states that I may get pulled over if I look like a commercial vehicle that is bypassing the weigh stations, and that not all officers/troopers are familiar with a non-CDL required big rig, but that it would be easy to get a supervisor to clear things up.

In WA...

[h=2]RCW 46.25.010[/h][h=1]Definitions.[/h]
The definitions set forth in this section apply throughout this chapter.

*snip*

(6) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle:

Your PERSONALLY OWNED VEHICLE is not used IN COMMERCE to transport passengers (for hire) or property (for hire), is it?

Then it's not a commercial vehicle.

If you're TOWING a vehicle that's not yours, for $$, then it IS a commercial vehicle.

Hauling something that you're getting paid for? ? It IS a commercial vehicle.

The DOL website and pamphlets are NOT correct, and do not reflect WA law...

The DOL website currently says that if it's over 29000 lbs you need a CDL, which is NOT correct, IF the vehicle is NOT used in commerce.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DOL have been telling me non stop that even if I am not driving comericialy I still have to have a cdl. but the regs states different. its bull****
The legislature changed the RCW in 2006. The DOL last updated it's WAC's in 2003.

No surprise they're not in agreement.

res0wc18

Here is what the man said.

Sorry if this is viewed as a hijack, but I thought that the P.N.W five ton owners would appreciate this.<br />
After doing my own due dilligance with the Rcw's and Wac's, and getting a different answer from everybody I asked, I decided to try to put an end to the (is a C.D.L required) question.<br />
I hired a lawyer, and had him chase this up mahogany row in Olympia.<br />
<br />
First the disclamer, I am in no way advocating the unsafe or uneducated operation of these vehicles.<br />
To protect our hobby you should know how to inspect, maintain, cola test, etc.<br />
That said, this is what my lawyer found out.<br />
<br />
<font color="black">Marc:<br />
<br />
I spoke with WSP officer Balcom on Monday, June 23, 2014 in regard to my inquiry about the requirement for a CDL license for the operation of your 6X6 AMGEN vehicle. He referred me to RCW 46.04.140 and stated that the definition of "Commercial Vehicle" controls in your situation. He said the type of vehicle, it's weight or braking equipment were not determinative in such cases or situations as yours and your fellow military enthusiasts. I would keep a copy of this email and the attached copy of the RCW with you when driving your vehicle just in case you are stopped and challenged by law enforcement while operating your vehicle. Good Luck!<br />
<br />
Best regards,<br />
Jahnis J. Abelite, WSBA #11644<br />
ABELITE LAW OFFICES P.S.<br />
16710 Smokey Point Blvd., Suite 200<br />
Arlington WA 98223 <br />
<br />
This came from the Olympia office in charge of rules and regulations.<br />
Hope this helps.<br />
Moderators, if i posted in the wrong forum please move.</font>

elkhtr

I keep a laminated copy of the origional Email, and the Rcw's in the trucks just in case.
But the laws havent changed since I hired the lawyer.
Do keep in mind that I am licensed as a collector vehicle.
If you licensed yours as a truck, this may not be applicable to your situation.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, if you're worried call WSP down in Olympia or one of the ports of entry (Where the folks in Olympia will likely have you call if there isn't an officer in arms reach.)

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/cvd.htm
Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Bureau
Washington State Patrol
PO Box 42614
Olympia WA 98504-2614
Phone: (360) 596-3800

Washington Ports of Entry:
Bow Hill: 7220 I-5, Bow - SB I-5 Phone: (360) 766-6196
Cle Elum: 128780 West Bound I-90 MP 80, Cle Elum, 98922 Phone: 509-674-9704 Plymouth: 133302 E Law Ln, Kennewick - NB I-82 (509) 734-7044
Ridgefield: 29317 I-5 N, Ridgefield - NB I-5 Phone:(360) 696-6049
Spokane: RR1 Westbound I-90, Milepost 299, Liberty Lake Phone: (509) 838-9400

When I talked to an officer from the Bow Hill station he was pretty emphatic my M923 wasn't a commercial vehicle because I wasn't using it commercially. ("Went a little overboard with the pickup I bought" I'd told him.)

Realistically, sounds like you should call. By now you've noticed the threads fill up with information that's contradictory. People tend to present the rules in a way that makes sense to them, but it's the government. So the rules make sense to no one.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And multiple agencies competing to regulate the same space.

I figure I'm never gonna meet a DMV clerk on the side of the road when I choose whom to listen to.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks