• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait Light Flashing

jkupka

After several gremlins in my electrical system being fixed. I know have a wait light that flashes around 7 times and the engine won't fire. Ideas??? New glow plugs (tested before installed) new Nartron temp sensor and refurbished Nartron control box. However I wondering about the box personally.

Wire Fox

After several gremlins in my electrical system being fixed. I know have a wait light that flashes around 7 times and the engine won't fire. Ideas??? New glow plugs (tested before installed) new Nartron temp sensor and refurbished Nartron control box. However I wondering about the box personally.
Who's the refurbisher? As well, are you cranking, but just not getting the engine to catch? If you are cranking and not catching, can you smell diesel fuel at the exhaust immediately after cranking?

jkupka

She cranks just fine and yes you can smell the diesel. You can hear the click when the ignition is turned off from the box. Bought one of Ebay below.
link removed, as rules do not allow ebay links.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wire Fox

Can we get a picture of the box you just installed? Perhaps of the temperature sender as well? A topic in G503 with a similar issue seemed to be because the the "TSU" for the S3 didn't match therefor it flashed, never warmed the glow plugs, and the engine was unable to start.

Wire Fox

Can we get a picture of the box you just installed? Perhaps of the temperature sender as well? A topic in G503 with a similar issue seemed to be because the the "TSU" for the S3 didn't match therefor it flashed, never warmed the glow plugs, and the engine was unable to start.
I'm reinforcing my thought that it's your TSU, or possibly the wiring harness to the TSU. I had been doing some work on my HMMWV and had the connector to the TSU disconnected. For giggles, I put the start lever to run with it like that and sure enough, I had a flashing wait light that lasted about 7 seconds and then went out. Reconnecting the harness, I immediately had normal operation restored. I'd be 100% sure that you have the correct TSU to use with this unit first, then carefully inspect the wiring harness for damage (including continuity tests on each lead) to ensure that you have good connection to the TSU from the S3.

jkupka

Wow,,,thanks. That's exactly what mine did...same flash time as well. I have a new sensor arriving Monday, black tipped Nartron to go with my yellow Nartron box.

papakb

Guys, something to keep in mind is that the glow plugs really aren't necessary in summertime temperatures. If it's above 70 degrees a diesel should start without needing the glow plugs.

Kurt

kc5mzd

Guys, something to keep in mind is that the glow plugs really aren't necessary in summertime temperatures. If it's above 70 degrees a diesel should start without needing the glow plugs.Kurt
They are in Ohio. They have very nice weather there. It can dip down below 70 at night there even in the summer! Here in Texas we rarely have the glow plug issue this time of year. We have to make sure the engine is not overheating before we start it first thing in the morning...

tage

That's really helpful.....
Replace glow plugs first with the correct 24 volt bullet male connector (not the flat one). If that doesn't work do the the ground harness. Then replace the smart box.

Make sure you disconnect the battery when you replace the smart box or you'll fry the new one's

jkupka

Installed the new TSU and still 7 flashes. So I pulled a glow plug and they are all fried. I'm getting another box sent out tomorrow with 8 new plugs. I suspect that the so called good box I bought on ebay was bad and managed to fry my plugs last week when it started once after I fixed my wiring issue (pin on main harness was shorted). It had new plugs when the harness was fixed, light came on and started. Then second attempt...7 flashes. So in my eyes that box smoked my plugs on the 2nd try.

jkupka

Do you have part number for the harness or description? or just any old ground like from Napa will do? And what do you mean by bullet vs flat???? thanks...

Mills

I had the very same issue a few months ago. I replaced the smart start system and the wait light still flashed. I then was advised to check the batteries. One was dead and the other was low. Replaced both, solved the problem. I wish I would have checked the batteries first $$.

jkupka

Replace glow plugs first with the correct 24 volt bullet male connector (not the flat one). If that doesn't work do the the ground harness. Then replace the smart box.

Make sure you disconnect the battery when you replace the smart box or you'll fry the new one's
Where should I run another ground to? or where is the original on the engine??? I cant seem to locate it....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks