• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait light issue

NateM1123LA

Hey guys, although I may not post much I'm on the site, I'm on here everyday reading and learning so thanks!

After doing a big maintenance session on the '89 1038 (heater core flush, new water pump/belts/hoses/ new radiator/fuel filter replacement I tried to start the old girl. Normally starts right up but I knew it would take a minute after all of that especially working with the fuel filter so I made sure I opened the bleed screw at the top of the fuel filter to let air out as I cranked. After a few tries and almost getting it started I inadvertently left it in the run position for like 15 mins (not sure if that does anything besides drain the battery). When I came back to start it again, I moved it back to off and then to run but got NO wait light, no GP cycling, nothing. It would turn over but obviously, no GP action. The solenoid in the KDS would clunk. So this is what I did:

Checked battery, each one measured around 14v.
Checked 6/8 glowplugs, all tested well on micrometer.
Checked inside of EESS box (KDS green label CR-2699), all appears well no corrosion perfectly sealed and no blown or swollen components.
Checked connection of TSU (KDS yellow band CR-2696)

At first I thought battery was dying bc the starts sounded weaker, but I had a trickle charge on it all day and still nothing when I tried later on. Anybody have any ideas or some other things to try. I read about grounding the top bolt of the EESS at the wiper fluid tank to the body to check for grounding issues, is there anything else I'm missing before I start ordering things? What sort of issues cause the light to not come on and GP's not to cycle?

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hook a volt meter to one of the glow plugs and rotate the start lever from off to run and see is you get any voltage to the plugs. That would be my first step.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you disconnected the batteries for a few minuets?
If you cycle the run switch off and immediately turn it back on the box will not cycle correctly, you have to leave the switch off for a minuet or two.

NateM1123LA

Have you disconnected the batteries for a few minuets?
If you cycle the run switch off and immediately turn it back on the box will not cycle correctly, you have to leave the switch off for a minuet or two.
Did not disconnect the battery but did put it back on the off position for awhile then tried it again and no light.

Action

You have a green label KDS box. It does not use the TSU or GPC. It uses a timer. If you just turned the switch to OFF and then try to restart, thememory in the box will thing the engine is warm. Just let it sit for a few hours (or tomorrow) and it should reset.

NateM1123LA

You have a green label KDS box. It does not use the TSU or GPC. It uses a timer. If you just turned the switch to OFF and then try to restart, thememory in the box will thing the engine is warm. Just let it sit for a few hours (or tomorrow) and it should reset.
Will do thank you!