• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait light not coming on - but starts (2006 M1097R1)

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After installing a supplemental ground harness, cleaning ground connections, reattaching the ground to the fuel gauge (58H I think it was) and re-seating the gauge cluster - my wait light no longer comes on. Truck starts, runs and drives fine w/o any smoke. KDS start box.

Ive spent a few hours reading conflicting opinions on the matter...

I plan on rechecking my ground connections and pulling the gauge cluster to make sure nothing is disconnected there - but if that all checks out, what is the best test procedure to diagnose the issue? Test glow plugs?

As of this morning (50 degree start) - It was slightly slower starting and and noticed a single flash on the WAIT light - and a puff of white smoke. Clearly the glow plugs are not heating. Im planning on installing a push to glow box more than likely.

BTW - Im really new to these vehicles - so please go easy.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After installing a supplemental ground harness, cleaning ground connections, reattaching the ground to the fuel gauge (58H I think it was) and re-seating the gauge cluster - my wait light no longer comes on. Truck starts, runs and drives fine w/o any smoke. KDS start box.

I plan on rechecking my ground connections and pulling the gauge cluster to make sure nothing is disconnected there - but if that all checks out, what is the best test procedure to diagnose the issue? Test glow plugs?

As of this morning (50 degree start) - It was slightly slower starting and and noticed a single flash on the WAIT light - and a puff of white smoke. Clearly the glow plugs are not heating. Im planning on installing a push to glow box more than likely.

I'm not sure that you need to install a "push to glow" box. Might be worth removing your glow plugs and inspect them. Thinking that you could spend the money to buy a set of glow plugs - rather than a push to glow box... You may find some are swollen in their spot.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

@Ramzi , It will benefit you greatly by replacing all the glow plugs and one time. Yes, you might do okay to replace a few - but you will be continuously working on glow plugs if you do. AND, I would look carefully for real glow plugs rather than the cheapest things you can find on Amazon for example.

Another user offers up this info:

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A set of glow plugs are on the way - purchased from one of the vendors who states that they are AM General plugs - so fingers crossed there.
Also have an extractor on the way from another source.... One can never have too many new tools!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A set of glow plugs are on the way - purchased from one of the vendors who states that they are AM General plugs - so fingers crossed there.
Also have an extractor on the way from another source.... One can never have too many new tools!
Good deal! Yes sir, nothing like getting a few new tools :cool: .

Be sure to read @Milcommoguy 's section on testing the plugs. (Link above)
And you can do that now while you are waiting on the new parts to arrive.

CapePrep

If you are getting a quick flash on the "wait" light, than that shows the actual light is good. You need to get a DVM and start checking for voltage at the GP. And I will second about either OHM testing the GP and even better to just replace if you don't know the history. They are inexpensive and cheap insurance. Also, I was changing my GP out yesterday and went to take the temp sensor plug off. Thought I had reinstalled it. Went to start and had the quick flash. Was very worried since the box and TSU is all brand new! Pushed on the connector and all good again. Lot's of info here, very knowledgeable folks as well. But you will need to do the work on testing. Come back here with data and we will all walk you thru what you have to do.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your box is bad...you could burn out the new plugs.....Sometimes TSU is the problem, but mostly the box is what burns out the plugs.

Ramzi

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a tester for pcb's, tsu's , gpc's, All style start boxes.
Ship one to me..I'll test for small fee.
Once I have the GP's tested I may send you my PCB - Thank you for the more than kind offer! Where in Texas are ya?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks