• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait Light Stays On

lonewolf90

Went to start my 1008 and the wait came on but would not trun off and my truck.wont start. Just turns over dont even try to start. I live in michigan and the temp was about 20 out and i waited about 3 mins and the light never turned.off. could use some help were to.start

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are some great resources in the CUCV forum including a wiki and links to manuals. I just had that problem the other week. It was either going to be the controller card or the solenoid. Since the card was a 1 minute fix I swapped the card. Ended up being the solenoid.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM 9-2320-289-20 tech manual has a great step by step troubleshooting section for the Glow Plug system. While it may not cover every possible problem, it is a great first step.

Without knowing how your truck is setup (stock, manaul GP bypass, 12v conversion, etc) there will be a guessing game on our part.

Some of my questions:
What have you tried? What have you tested? What are you electrical system diagnostic skills? Can you use a multimeter? Do you own a multimeter? etc

*** edit ***
Just reread some of you other posts and answered some of my questions. Your are a newbie to diesels and have a limited skill set.

So, do you own a multimeter and know how to use it? If not that will be your first step. Buy a meter and watch some youtube videos on how to operate it.

6x6TRex

I live in Michigan, the temp was about 20, and my truck wont start. Could use some help.
Park it inside a heated garage, install 20 block heaters, move someplace warmer, spray an entire can of starting fluid into it, etc.

Joking aside, I would first check to see if the glow plugs are getting power then check the solenoid. Did you hear the glow plugs cycling?

Skinny

So I assume no thud from the solenoid or deflection in the voltmeter gauge? This would indicate the circuit isn't activating. If the plugs were heating up and the controller wasn't shutting off you wouldn't have an issue starting. I would be looking at a temp sensor, bad solenoid, or defective card. Either way...a voltmeter is your friend!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy a multimeter, watch youtube to learn how to use it.

You will need to start checking for voltage at the GP relay on the firewall. If no voltage there then you will need to start checking the wiring inside the cab.

Has the GP system ever worked correctly? I know you are new to this truck. Ask your dad if it worked before or not.

You will also need to download the TM9-2320-289-20 tech manual and print off the Chap 2, paragraph 15 thru 19, starting on page 2-62

We will step you thru this. But beware you will have to help us. You are our eyes and hands. When we ask a question, post a clear answer.

lonewolf90

No i dont own a multimeter. I.know alot about diesels i have a 1986 ford 6.9 4x4 one ton.and a 2001 ford 7.3 f 250 4x4 on my.01.my relay went out but the light didn't come on at all

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a test light?

Turn the key to the run position and see if you have voltage at the bottom side of the relay that connects to the glow plugs.

Karl

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bringing up an old thread here with a similar problem.

I was testing the GP system on a recently acquired M1010. The wait light would come on and stay on for an extended period of time. Much longer than normal.

I would hear the GP relay close and then open as normal and the wait light stayed on even after the relay opened.
It is a new relay and I had voltage to the glow plugs. The orange wire going to the GP card was connected to the proper side of the relay.
I swapped GP cards (I have a few of them) and still had the same issue.

Further testing reveled that the orange sense wire going to the GP card had no voltage at the card end.

After further investigation I found that the orange sense wire had pulled out of the crimp terminal at the GP relay. The orange insulation was still connected to the terminal but the wire was no longer connected to the terminal. It looked good but was not electrically connected. I replaced the crimp terminal and the issue was resolved.

With no (or low) voltage going to the orange sense wire, the GP card will keep the wait light on for an extended period of time.
Karl

TM 9-2320-289-20 GLow Plug Relay and Module Replacement. Page 4-24. That will show you were the relay and module are located. Those two areas you need to use the voltmeter to run tests. It should pretty straight forward, since you didn't make any changes.

Not saying you do or don't know how... but volt meter skills is a requirement for these trucks.

MarcusOReallyus

Yep. If you don't have a meter, you are tying your own hands.

But just to be clear, the original poster, who didn't own a meter, posted that info more than a year ago. He now owns a meter.

Antennaclimber, who posted about his much more recent experience, knows electricity and meters inside, outside, upside, downside, and all sides out. I'd be surprised if he has fewer than a half dozen, and he's probably got an expensive bench model in his collection.

Did I get that right, AC? :mrgreen:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. If you don't have a meter, you are tying your own hands.

But just to be clear, the original poster, who didn't own a meter, posted that info more than a year ago. He now owns a meter.

Antennaclimber, who posted about his much more recent experience, knows electricity and meters inside, outside, upside, downside, and all sides out. I'd be surprised if he has fewer than a half dozen, and he's probably got an expensive bench model in his collection.

Did I get that right, AC? :mrgreen:
I have a few of them.

I still have a Simpson 260 Series 7M I bought in 1980.

The red wire is positive??
Is that correct?:?:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks