• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wait light

rbesaw

I have a 1986 blazer that has been starting just fine, today I tried to start it and the wait light took forever to go out and the truck still would not start. the glow plugs are about 1 and 1/2 yrs old

24farragut

This happned to me with my M1008 two weeks ago. Wait light took a few min to shut off, and truck didnt start, but prior to had always been very quick. Go to the fuse box in the cab, look for the one labeled GP, i think it is 20 or 30a, check it out, could be the culprit. I actually found i didnt have that fuse, put one in and it started right up.

markg

I have a 1986 blazer that has been starting just fine, today I tried to start it and the wait light took forever to go out and the truck still would not start. the glow plugs are about 1 and 1/2 yrs old
ill bet your glow plug card is bad, turn your key to on, listen for the click of the solinoid under the hood, and see if the voltage gage drops from current draw. if none of those things happen, to start your truck, go under the hood and jump the solinoid for about 5 seconds to energize the plugs, jump in and start your truck. wire yourself up a switch or buy a card off flee-bay:) thanks, mark

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
His system has been working, why would you suspect a bad control card?

Testing your glow plugs is the first place to start. Then the GP relay if you do not find any bad gp's.

Remove the wire from each glow plug. Measure it with an Ohm meter. 0-3 ohms.

The controller senses voltage, which helps make it decide when the wait light goes out. The voltage drops when you have 8 good glow plugs.

If you PM me your phone number, I can give you a call and talk you through any issue your having. (if you want)

markg

His system has been working, why would you suspect a bad control card?
i listen for the relay click first and foremost, (and look for current draw) if that happens, your getting juice to the plugs. (normally). in my experience, when the card fails, it doesnt energize the relay. i doubt any of the plugs are bad. i have a stack of bad cards that look good but wont energize the relay. been there- done that.:!:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, since you cannot "test" the controller card, you must do a component test of all the other components, to eliminate all other possibilities(as per the TM)

markg

Well, since you cannot "test" the controller card, you must do a component test of all the other components, to eliminate all other possibilities(as per the TM)
if i knew what chip on the card controls power to the relay, i could fix all the cards i have . you can trouble shoot the card to a certain extent, i read it in some tm somewhere. i have seen his problem before, no current draw, no start.