• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait to drive - how long ?

PhillyAR

Please bear with me for a few newbie questions about diesel motors:

How long after you start the 6.2 do you have to wait until you can drive it ?

Is it a large difference in time depending on the outside air temp (like say 80 degrees in summer and 20 degrees in winter)?

If you have the motor fully warmed up and then shut it off for 10 minutes do you have to wait to drive it when you start it again ?

TIA

91W350

No waiting when warm. A lot of guys let them idle until the fast idle kicks off. I am always running late and have no patience for waiting on one to warm up, so you will see me creeping down the street, waiting for the fast idle to kick off. I just drive really easy, we are talking not over 25 and it takes a city block to get there. You will also hear the difference in knock when the fast idle kicks off. I am sure everybody has a different plan. Take it easy cold, that is the big thing! Glen

Fleg

Take it easy when cold but you only really have to wait till oil is circulating through the engine and that takes seconds.

Start it, count to 5 or so, drive easy for the first few blocks, then drive normal.

ralbelt

If the engine is warm start it up and go. If it's cold I wait till the hi idle kicks down. This will depend on the outside temp. if it's down below freezing it will take several minutes. Normally i'll start it up and go back inside and have a coffee. I only work 1.3 miles from home so I don't take it to work too often as it takes longer to warm up than the drive.

NCBloodhound

No waiting when warm. A lot of guys let them idle until the fast idle kicks off. I am always running late and have no patience for waiting on one to warm up, so you will see me creeping down the street, waiting for the fast idle to kick off. I just drive really easy, we are talking not over 25 and it takes a city block to get there. You will also hear the difference in knock when the fast idle kicks off. I am sure everybody has a different plan. Take it easy cold, that is the big thing! Glen
So that's what it was when it suddenly accelerated the first time i started it up... I don't remember my other two diesels doing that...

91W350

They have a fast idle and a timing advance that goes with it. I know my first M1008 had a lot higher initial idle than the other three CUCVs I have do. The main thing is to not drop the hammer hard cold.

McCluskey

This is pretty much what I do, when I have time I wait for the high idle to kick off. Typically takes 3-6 minutes from a cold start.

mistaken1

This 2003 GM duramax diesel supplement manual says:

http://www.gmtruckhq.com/Manuals/2003DuramaxDieselSupplement.pdf

When your engine is cold, let it run for a few minutes before you move your vehicle. This lets oil pressure build up. Your engine will sound louder when it’s cold.

Notice: If you are not in an idling vehicle and the engine overheats, you would not be there to see the overheated engine indication. This could damage your vehicle. Do not let your engine run when you are not in your vehicle.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

In the summer I start it up let it idle for a minute or two and then go, if its below 35 I let it idle for 10-30 minutes depending on how cold it is especially if its below 0!

rnd-motorsports

When warm start and buckle your seat belt about that time your good when its cold out the fast idle will step down about 110 deg. of engine temp. If you cant wait for the idle to kick down then give it a couple minutes then drive it a bit on the easy side you will notice when the idle kicks down even above idle you will feel it or hear it kick down! just remember this is a older style precombustion chamber diesel a little heat is its Friend in cold weather!

Mohawk Dave

All above is correct. Oil is the blood of these things, and the tolerances change from cold to warm, so of course, the more you let it warms up, the better. I usually start my trucks, get situated with my sunglasses, or type in GPS location, get my drink in the cupholder, think about my to-do list and then off I go. And I always take it easy for at least the first few/5 minutes. I also drive like a grandma full time (unless I'm in one of the race-trucks on a course).

And, TOTALLY irrelevant and off topic, but my ex-girlfriends 2002? VW Jetta Manual said "Do not let engine warm up at cold start, immediatly start driving normally." As a gear head I was in complete What-the-Heck mode? It gave no reasoning, and I would still let it warm up to get the oil flowing.

Anyways, Best wishes,

Dave

89m1007

I have my high idle on a switch. And let it warm up for a minute or 2 and take it easy. I normally only drive 55. My wife does the same. For her its harder because she is used to driving a car. And now she's driving full size diesels. A 6.2 burb. A civized 1009 4.11 gears added

mistaken1

And, TOTALLY irrelevant and off topic, but my ex-girlfriends 2002? VW Jetta Manual said "Do not let engine warm up at cold start, immediatly start driving normally." As a gear head I was in complete What-the-Heck mode? It gave no reasoning, and I would still let it warm up to get the oil flowing.

Anyways, Best wishes,

Dave
Look at the MEP generators. Start'em up and bring them right up to speed. The best way to warm up any engine is to put it under a load. Give it a minute to build oil pressure then lightly load it until it comes up to full operating temperature before fully loading it.

Running an underloaded MEP or idling a deuce too long causes wet stacking problems. The same issues all diesels have.

http://www.dieselgeneratorset.us/wetstackingmeansinadieselgeneratorset.htm

What does the term "Wet Stacking" mean in a diesel engine?
"Wet Stacking" happen when a diesel engine operates below the rated output level the engine starts over-fuel or "wet stack". Diesel engines are designed to operate with a load and operate more efficiently in the 70 to 80% range of rated output. When a diesel engine operates for a long period of time below 40% it begins to over fuel. This happens because the injection tips begins to carbonize and disrupt the fuel spray pattern.

How to correct the "wet stacking" if it has occurred.

The only way to correct a diesel engine if it has begun to wet stack is to load the engine for a couple of hours to burn off the excess fuel and clean up the engine. Diesel generator sets with electronically controlled engines or advance emission systems are less likely to wet stack. But all diesel engines will wet stack unfortunately, if operated for long periods of time below rated levels. This is the reason it is important to get the proper size and design of a diesel generator set.

89m1007

Look at the MEP generators. Start'em up and bring them right up to speed. The best way to warm up any engine is to put it under a load. Give it a minute to build oil pressure then lightly load it until it comes up to full operating temperature before fully loading it.

Running an underloaded MEP or idling a deuce too long causes wet stacking problems. The same issues all diesels have.

http://www.dieselgeneratorset.us/wetstackingmeansinadieselgeneratorset.htm

What does the term "Wet Stacking" mean in a diesel engine?
"Wet Stacking" happen when a diesel engine operates below the rated output level the engine starts over-fuel or "wet stack". Diesel engines are designed to operate with a load and operate more efficiently in the 70 to 80% range of rated output. When a diesel engine operates for a long period of time below 40% it begins to over fuel. This happens because the injection tips begins to carbonize and disrupt the fuel spray pattern.

How to correct the "wet stacking" if it has occurred.

The only way to correct a diesel engine if it has begun to wet stack is to load the engine for a couple of hours to burn off the excess fuel and clean up the engine. Diesel generator sets with electronically controlled engines or advance emission systems are less likely to wet stack. But all diesel engines will wet stack unfortunately, if operated for long periods of time below rated levels. This is the reason it is important to get the proper size and design of a diesel generator set.
They are talking about direct injection engines also. But we are dealing with a tenpermental indirect injection diesel. That has a precup andsudden temp changes crack the heads in these

Iceman3005

Interesting..........never heard of wet stacking. I have been driving truck for ten years now and never heard of that. So what you would do for a truck that has to idle for long periods, lets say for instance its below 10 degrees. Most diesels won't start without being plugged in or having glow plugs at our below that temperature, plus an over the road truck driver needs heat, yes there are after market oil burners and generators but most company's don't offer that for there drivers. After doing some research today it seems that generators our more susceptible to "wet stacking" than a diesel found in a truck or big rig. Any thoughts?:idea: It got down too -25 for a couple of nights in Jan. 2011 and my glow plugs failed so I left the cucv idle all night about 8 hrs. and didn't have any problems. I drive a tanker, hauling gas to gas stations so I'm on call 24/7, my truck has too be ready too go all the time. can't be late for work so thats why I left it running.

DXTAC

I wait till it comes off high idle otherwise at 4:00AM my neighbors would complain, more than they do now anyway!! It is down right annoying if you don't wait too.

89m1007

Interesting..........never heard of wet stacking. I have been driving truck for ten years now and never heard of that. So what you would do for a truck that has to idle for long periods, lets say for instance its below 10 degrees. Most diesels won't start without being plugged in or having glow plugs at our below that temperature, plus an over the road truck driver needs heat, yes there are after market oil burners and generators but most company's don't offer that for there drivers. After doing some research today it seems that generators our more susceptible to "wet stacking" than a diesel found in a truck or big rig. Any thoughts?:idea: It got down too -25 for a couple of nights in Jan. 2011 and my glow plugs failed so I left the cucv idle all night about 8 hrs. and didn't have any problems. I drive a tanker, hauling gas to gas stations so I'm on call 24/7, my truck has too be ready too go all the time. can't be late for work so thats why I left it running.
How much fuel does it seem to use overnight?

rnd-motorsports

If you all take the time to look up some articles on wet stacking It refers more to smaller diesels 4 cylinders and such like generators and such that are not run all the time only a short time to test like once a mouth type thing and not ran hard enough to bring up to temp to get a full fuel burn when colder they will not burn all the fuel mainly when engine is run in cold climate when the engine cant build or warm up to operating temps and not operating under a load not referring to a diesel in a truck to say. yes it can pertain to a truck but not as big a deal as a stationary engine! so don't get confused about it. your truck gets hot so the wet stacking is not a big problem with these engines or the diesels in a deuce or semi diff. deal just my2cents but read up on it decide for yourself! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks