• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait / water fuel lights inop

papa8856

Good morning

I have been trying to troubleshoot why my wait light, and water in fuel light don't come on when starting my m1008. The truck starts OK. I have checked fuses, Glow plug card, and glow plugs. My question is I have attached a clamp on amp meter to the glow plugs. I think I did this right but I'm not sure. I got readings Of 20 amps on the first one then after that the reading went lower. Is it because the glow plugs are warming up? I have a new glow plug relay too! Please let me know what else I should check. The card doesn't show any signs of overheating. aua .

Bighorn

If your fuel filter has been swapped to a spin on style, you may have lost your "water in fuel" sender.
The wire is dangling where the previous owner swapped my filter assembly out.
You can reach most of the bulb sockets from under the dash but you need to be a contortionist.
Best to remove the dash bezel and check those bulbs.
Just replace them all.
They are pennys a piece and chances are a few of the dash lights are out anyways.

Bighorn

I do have a spin on filter Thanks
You may still have a "water in fuel" sensor.
I was just relating my case where the spin on filter housing does not have a provision for the sensor (which would need to be mounted on the bottom of the filter) so the previous owner just taped up the sensor wire and therefore I have no water in fuel indicator.
Now , if memory serves, an old Ford 7.3 plumbing rig we had, there was a sensor assembly right on the drain plug of the spin on style fuel filter.
Maybe that part interchanges?
Anybody know how to restore the sensor to a spin on fuel filter conversion?
I might look into that Ford 7.3 angle.

Edit; found it.
It would be easier to swap in the whole 7.3 filter housing.
Not worth it for me.
I run good fuel.
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/filter.jpg

Last edited:

Barrman

Spin on most likely means you won't have a water in fuel light as mentioned above.

The wait light is another story. Does your glow plug system work?

sneekyeye

If you are getting twenty amps at first, then it goes down,that is normal as it heats up. If you have the tm wiring diagrams, you can ground the wait light manually at i believe the blue wire at i think a five or six pin connector near the glow plug controller. The wait light has a constant12v, and is grounded by the glow plug controller. If you ground it with a jumper and it doesn't come on, you need to troubleshoot your bulb or bulb power supply side. Disconnect it from the glow plug controller before you ground it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks