• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wait/Water in Fuel light Q

l1a1man

Ok, Did some work on her with fuses, relays etc. Have had the wait light and water in fuel light come on even when warm and driving ( they are dim) but do a flickering thing off and on together and at diffrent times. Also have been hearing chatter behind them too. Any ideas?

Sgt Hulka

Yes. I went through a very similar scenario chronicled here on SS recently. I can't speak to the connection between the work you did and problems you're having, but I can tell you my problem was ultimately a flakey GP controller card. Weird wait light behavior and a chattering relay... I did not experience the water in fuel light behavior though... Good luck!!!!!!

Sgt Hulka

Yikes. here we go... The GP Relay and the GP controller card are two very different things. The GP relay is located on the engine compartment firewall on the drivers side. The controller card is, well, you know, inside under the dash. A failing GP controller card can cause the GP relay to "chatter" close on and off real fast that you can hear in the driver's seat... The card can't chatter, it has no mechanical parts.

l1a1man

Yes, a clicking sound. Some rapid some not. Once the truck is warm, it stops. Now i had these before replacing the GP relay, GP's, voltmeter fuse, and GP starter relay. Cleaned up the card housing so just need to wait for my next card to show up and hope it is cured. Will have to see if the board can be rebuilt. The lights continue to flicker off and on though.

l1a1man

OK everyone. After all that work I went out and started her up and she ran great. Started better than before. This morning I go out and lots of white smoke, excellent cranking, but no start? Where should i look now?

l1a1man

No, Put a new one in today after I tried to start and still a no go. Going to pul a GP and make sure it is ok. I noticed it is leaking fuel from the bottom of the fuel filter and the peticock is tight. How to I swap filters and make sure no air gets in?

Sgt Hulka

Swapping the filter is a no brainer. Just release the top and bottom clips and remove and replace. Check the TMs. Be careful though. Move the filter straight in and out over the input and output pipes. HOWEVER, it's very possible the leak is coming from the filter base. They must be replaced are available from a few sources including ebay. And yes, this could very well be part or all of your starting problem. Hang in there!

Sgt Hulka

Sorry, I may have led you astray initially. And I'm still concerned about the wait light behavior. But the air/fuel leak-filter base flaw can exhibit those symptoms and create a hard start condition. I went through the whole merry chase myself, and needed both the GP card and the fuel filter base (and a new fuel filter).