• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep sleep...

Barrman said:
I figured Gasser, but wanted to make sure it hadn't been swapped out before I got all excited about another one.

I had mine buried to the steps in mud Saturday and that engine just wanted me to get into it harder to try and get out. I was real impressed with the grunt of it.
That's good to hear. I really do not want to have to pull the motor for a refresh at this point in time. I'd like to get it under it's own power and start on some of the other things and try to gather all the parts I need to get the pumps/tanks working correctly again and then once I get everything located. Pull it into the shop and start on it for real. Right now I've got too many other projects in the shop and not enough room for all as it is...

Congratulations.
Thanks!

Chirs is right about the starter. Pull it off, clean and lube it and put it back together.

Mine sat since 1981 before I brought it home in December. Pull the plugs, put oil in there, let it sit, change the engine oil, turn it over on the starter without the plugs until you get oil psi (Do it in 10-12 second burst), put the plugs in, check the points and put fuel to it.

A trick I used because the tank was all gumed up was put a Gerry can on the drivers running board holder and run a line from it to the fuel pump right there on the side of the engine. You will notice the fuel pump has a primer lever. Pump in until you hear gas going in the carb and fire it up. Oh, change your axle, transmisison and t-case oil before you do much moving around with it. Mine were an amazing rainbow of colors after sitting 20+ years.
Looks like that's definitely the next step!

Neil

Cooltex24

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep slee

Hey Neil,
I have found a bunch of manuals online, let me know if you want the links.
Scott

hippiedude

Welcome........Nice find Dude.....Hehe [thumbzup] .....pull the plugs fill w/thin oil so it can work past the rings.........so the next time you get to tinker your one step ahead of the game......use a braker bar on the main pully before you engage the starter to make sure it is free......Good luck broo :beer:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If you have the gear that equips the truck, you are already 80% through a restoration project - and this is the voice of experience.

The fire trucks have some basic differences from all the other G-742 (M-35-type) trucks. The battery box is different, the heater is remarkably different, the wiring harness is much different as well. The pump, which is probably a Hale, is driven by a transfer case PTO.

Someone has added some sort of extension to the top of the water tank. The beds of these trucks are prone to rusting. Dennis Spence at Portrayal Press sells reproductions of the 530B-specific manuals.

By the way, someone on this group requested some information on the gear for these vehicles - I've lost your email address, but found the material - so drop me another note.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Cooltex24

Hey David, That was me requesting that info. I would appreiciate it more than I can say, as I still have not fount the list anywhere. I am hoping to close on the house the middle of the month, then get the 530 there after.
Scott

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Oh boy another Steel Soldier from Indiana.

You will love that truck more and more as you get to work on it there is just something about big trucks that served our country well. I miss my MV' s almost as much as I miss my wife and kids. The big leap of faith for me was leaving them all in the care of my boys. I found out during Katrina my oldest son almost highjacked my duece to drive it down there to help the people in trouble after the storm. I sure hope they are committed to the monthly starting and running of my trucks or I will be doing more maintainance than I hope to when I get home next year.

neil2007

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Waking a MV from a deeeeeep

Cooltex24 said:
Hey Neil,
I have found a bunch of manuals online, let me know if you want the links.
Scott
Scott, I am definitely interested in any online or offline info that I can find for the 530's. I am really interested in production stats and figuring out the history of this vehicle as far back as I can.

Thanks!

Neil

neil2007

hippiedude said:
Welcome........Nice find Dude.....Hehe [thumbzup] .....pull the plugs fill w/thin oil so it can work past the rings.........so the next time you get to tinker your one step ahead of the game......use a braker bar on the main pully before you engage the starter to make sure it is free......Good luck broo :beer:
Engine was already free to turn with a breaker bar before I started prepping it for the tow to it's new home. :D This could be a good sign.... or a really really bad one. :shock:

citizensoldier

Hi guys. Not trying to hijack the pos but have a couple questions. Isnt the "M44" the chassis numbers? and the M35 and so on the different versions of the chassis? I am asking because this truck has M 135 rims? Or M34 rims? Just want the scoop about this version?
About the pre-start stuff.. Looks like you have it covered but make real sure you dont have mice in the intake/or exhaust.. Watch that wiring too! Keep a eye out for smoke..
Nice truck by the way.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
citizensoldier said:
Hi guys. Not trying to hijack the pos but have a couple questions. Isnt the "M44" the chassis numbers? and the M35 and so on the different versions of the chassis? I am asking because this truck has M 135 rims? Or M34 rims?
To really properly consider these things, one should look at the Standard Nomenclature List number - in this case G-742. That is what puts the family of trucks together. The M44, M45, M46, etc, etc. are all SNL G-742 (as are M35, M35A1, M35A2). Using M numbers leads to a lot of confusion (soldier A tells soldier B "go get me that M1" - what will he return with - a helmet, a rifle, a carbine, a tank??)

The G-742 was originally designed with six 11.00-20 tires, the ten 9.00-20 tires came a little later, and was for a while produced concurrently.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

neil2007

DDoyle said:
If you have the gear that equips the truck, you are already 80% through a restoration project - and this is the voice of experience.
I'm not gonna say I've got all of it, but I've got a good portion of the hard stuff... Eventually, once I get it restored I'll need to find some items... but these items should (hopefully) prove to be the more commonly available items.
[/quote]

The fire trucks have some basic differences from all the other G-742 (M-35-type) trucks. The battery box is different, the heater is remarkably different, the wiring harness is much different as well. The pump, which is probably a Hale, is driven by a transfer case PTO.
Speaking of the pump, when I was under there a couple of weeks ago tracing the battery wiring and there is a lead that appears to go to another 24vlt electric motor. What is this for?

Someone has added some sort of extension to the top of the water tank. The beds of these trucks are prone to rusting. Dennis Spence at Portrayal Press sells reproductions of the 530B-specific manuals.
Yes... One of the local fire departments added the extra top tank. It was obviously something that was fabbed up on-site. (Left a little to be desired as far as quality.)
I was looking at it the other day and it is not mounted down or plumbed into anything now. I could lift it up off the bed without anything restricting it's movement. Most of the piping is gone from between the tanks too. I need to do some more looking, but it almost looks like th whole thing had been disabled by removing sections of the piping. Is this a common practice for county agencies to do when they sell old equipment?

By the way, someone on this group requested some information on the gear for these vehicles - I've lost your email address, but found the material - so drop me another note.
I'd also be very interested in any info you can send me.

Thanks!

Neil

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
neil2007 said:
Speaking of the pump, when I was under there a couple of weeks ago tracing the battery wiring and there is a lead that appears to go to another 24vlt electric motor. What is this for?

I'd also be very interested in any info you can send me.

Thanks!
Neil
The motor you are referring to is for the pump primer.

If you will send me a PM with your email address, and let me know what kind of internet connection you have, I'll try to help you out.

Regards,
David Doyle

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool fire truck Neil! It looks like a very solid foundation for a resto project. I see you are in IN. You'll have to stop over and see us at Haspin Acres next year for the 4th annual SS Rally. Just be careful if you off-road it. The rear overhang has been known to get hung up and bent. One of our members went through that scenario (wink, wink) a few years back. That sheet-metal and rear step is not strong enough to hold the weight of the vehicle.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Ah yes, the crease is still visible. ( Very much a different angle of departure than that of a regular deuce (and easily forgotten too).

DD

neil2007

steelsoldiers said:
Cool fire truck Neil! It looks like a very solid foundation for a resto project. I see you are in IN. You'll have to stop over and see us at Haspin Acres next year for the 4th annual SS Rally. Just be careful if you off-road it. The rear overhang has been known to get hung up and bent. One of our members went through that scenario (wink, wink) a few years back. That sheet-metal and rear step is not strong enough to hold the weight of the vehicle.
Well... Fortunately the only real rust that I've found so far is in the area of the rear step. (Nothing more than about an 3" long bit of rust through. Obviously where ther is a double wall of metal that held alot of moisture. SO, I look at this as an invitation to upgrade!

Maybe I can find a way to support it better back there without changing the appearance.

With that being said, I realize in the game of restoring these vehicles is it looked down on to modify MV's in general to get a better, tougher, better performing vehicle or are modifications generally well tolerated the Steel Soldier Members?

Neil

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's a little bit for everyone here Neil. There are purists that wouldn't dream of putting a non-period shade of OD or incorrectly sized star on their truck and there are those who would chop the back off of a deuce to make a 4x4 bob-truck. Everyone seems to get along just fine. There is the deuce mod and hot-rodding forum just for such discussion. You'll find it to be very lively. I would say that most people say, "It's your truck, do what you want with it," but that usually depends on how "rare" a particular vehicle is.

There are some great firetruck owners on the SS forums. I'm sure you guys could figure out a way to repair/or strengthen the rear step area on your truck.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I've got (or did have - need to look around the shop) - a spare rear step or two for the firetrucks. The zoning boys got after me here while back and a lot of good parts went for scrap to keep me out of hot water.

Cooltex24

Hey David,
You would not happen to have the compartment door for #3 drivers side around would you? If so, I would come get it when I get a chance to get away.
Scott

neil2007

steelsoldiers said:
There's a little bit for everyone here Neil. There are purists that wouldn't dream of putting a non-period shade of OD or incorrectly sized star on their truck and there are those who would chop the back off of a deuce to make a 4x4 bob-truck. Everyone seems to get along just fine. There is the deuce mod and hot-rodding forum just for such discussion. You'll find it to be very lively. I would say that most people say, "It's your truck, do what you want with it," but that usually depends on how "rare" a particular vehicle is.
This now becomes the new mission for me when I'm at work and not able to be out wrench'n or fabricating something new and cool!

So far I've only been able to determine that there was only 44 of these made... with only 1 or 2 still known in existance. I'm wondering if that is actually true. I'm starting to think I read that website wrong... I think they may of been talking about the 530C's (and of course, I can't find that site again for the life of me! :x

Neil