• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wandering deuce

baxter

I just finished installing 395's on stock rims and as I drove it home from the shop last night I drove down a road that had quite a few bumps and she wanderd alot especially at higher speeds. I have hydro power steering and never noticed this before. We checked the front for tow in and it was perfectly straight so I need to put about a 1/4" in. I am running about 50lbs of air in 1200-20 tubes I am thinking maybe bad torque rods allowing the rearend to move about more with the singles than it would with duals. Any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.

Vaughn

phantomjeep

check your king pin bushings ,and pins ,mine were rusted and one wheel had a little wobble in it . the tire tread showed cupping from the camber being out. new bushings and cleaned the pins up, no more wander.

Trango

My thoughts are that with power assist steering on the deuce, you can start thinking about using Caster to improve road manners.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the front end is tight I would try changing the caster also.

:ditto:

Vaughn, besides all mentioned also make sure that the slip joint of the intermediate steering shaft (in between gear and column) isn't sticking. It must be able to freely extend/contract 1/2" minimum, to compensate for any cab to chassis movement and normal operation of the control valve assy. Otherwise it could induce undesired/uncontrolled steering (=wandering) especially over bumpy terrain.

Anyways you are not the first one to encounter this.... ;-)
See this thread here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/31215-all-over-road-14-5s-2.html
My post (#16) also includes another link as how to increase caster angle.
It might give you some ideas...

G.

Irv

Is it possible that the measurement of the toe-in was not accurate? Not casting aspersions, but toe-in measurement can be tricky unless you have the mil toe-in gauge. If you were off by just a quarter of an inch, it would affect the wandering. A half inch and it would be quite pronounced. Good luck. Irv

williamh

i also recently did the single conversion and started having the same problem but have not had time to check it out .... my deuce would track as straight as an arrow but since i put on the singles .... ( bias ply tires ) it feels all over the road . all the tire pressure is correct, haven't checked the alignment but i never had bad tire wear ..

Barneyszoo

I've heard that some play in the steering wheel is there because the air assist has a valve that needs to move a little each way so it can tell the air witch way to assist the steering. I have 395s on my bobber and i'm putting together a steering stabliser because those big tires will jerk the steering wheel right out of your hands if you hit a rock or something. But I still like the big tires and won't go back.

baxter

Thanks for all the info I plan on going through it tomorrow and see what i find out. I just hope it doesnt rain.I will keep you all informed on what I find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks