• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wandering Neurons' wandering steering

wandering neurons

First post for long-time lurker...
My M35A1 was sold way back in 2005 and I'd hankered for something for a while. Teased my wife about getting a Tatra 813 KOLOS but that never happened. That's where I found SS though.

Several months ago I surprised my wife with my 2nd military vehicle - A 1994 M1081 LVAD, nicknamed Goliath. A local person had bought the truck at auction, fussed with it for a short period, and sold it to me for what he paid at auction. Drove it home, about 25 miles and scared myself with the steering. Made it, but have had problems with it from first drive.

Driving straight down the road, the steering wheel takes about a half-turn either direction to keep the truck centered on the road. The truck wanders back and forth across the lane, with me sawing back and forth on the steering wheel. And that's not going over 40 mph. Once in a turn, the steering feels OK, but the truck refuses to hold when going straight and there's the obvious ton of play or slop in the steering.
Additionally, at low speed, sometimes the steering is very heavy, like there's little power assist to it, even moving slowly such as doing a three-point turn.
Shortly after getting the truck home, I had a problem where the steering would "lock", where I could only turn the steering wheel 1/4 turn, little movement of the tires, before the wheel would stop turning, like the steering had hit the left and right stops.

At first, the truck had three inches of toe-in. I dialed that out to near-zero before doing anything else.
I've replaced the supply hose from the reservoir to the power steering pump, it was bleeding fluid due to age. I also replaced the return line from the steering box to the reservoir. The reservoir was filled and drained several times, and refilled with 10W hydraulic fluid.
I've replace both the drag link and tie rod ends with new components, toe-in adjusted to zero since (using an old-fashioned carpenters ruler)
Tire pressures are good, tires are in decent condition.
Steering column has been removed, inspected, and reinstalled, no faults or issues found there.
Left front wheel gets hotter than the right front after driving - I'm guessing hung brake, though I don't know if that is a factor.

So now I'm looking to the FMTV community here for help and recommendations. Should I:
Use a pressure gauge on the pressure line into the steering box and check pressures a-la the 34-2, section 12-3, Steering Gear Adjustment?
Replace the steering box?
Replace the main pressure line from the power steering pump to the steering box?
Replace the power steering pump?

In the meantime, I've done a bunch of other things to the truck, it's a never-ending fix-it and upgrade project, to be humble-bragged about later. But I'm not going to try to get the safety inspection done till the steering works correctly.

longrange4u

I just purchased my M1081 from another SS member in our area... I am in Northern VA so we arent far from each-other. But that is where my usefulness ends. Sorry I cant help more with that problem, I am just learning the platform myself.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd check everything in the system. From jacking up the front to see no load conditions with engine off and engine running. It shouldn't wander that much without steering feedback. Maybe your wheel u-joints from the steering wheel to box are shot. My truck drives like a dream.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the tires on the front before, are still on the front after that much abnormal wear, swap them to the back. Prob won't fix it, but eliminates a variable.

Heat in one corner that's not at the other corner could be your "smoking gun". A hanging brake will cause some serious white knuckling, but not the binding you mentioned. The TM in (I'm looking for the reference now but 9-2320-365-34-1 chapters 9 and 11 will get you started) has a very good adjustment guide for front and back brakes. TMs 9-2320-365-20-1 and -2 have troubleshooting sections covering the brakes and front axles.

Check your portal hubs-MAKE SURE THEY HAVE PROPER OIL LEVEL !

Jack it up and check the bearings etc.

Its in there somewhere, the problem is just playing hide and seek.

Good luck!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When stopped with engine running can you run the steering wheel smooth in both directions and the tires follow without play? From your description it sounds like a bad steering box or bad/worn front end components. Check the tie rod and steer bar for any play. I have a steering box on hand.

f8617

Perhaps, an over-adjusted/tightened lash on the steering gear box (top & bottom) is causing it to bind.
Also, the front axle bearings may be loose, and need additional shimming.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like you’ve eliminated the drag link and tie rod ends. My money is on the steering box itself or wheel bearings. Can you have someone sit in the cab and operate the steering while you lay underneath? Or maybe just leave a cellphone camera down there while you operate the wheel if you don’t trust anyone that much. Often a visual inspection while the parts are moving will give you a clue of where to start. You may even hear something that isn’t obvious from the cab.

Of of course there is a lot of additional reading on the geared hubs if you end up R&R them for a bearing service.

dmetalmiki

With the amount of slack you are reporting it's a wonder you did not spot the guilty component the minute you got home and inspected the steering assembly all the way through, with a helper. And if it drove so badly I would (perhaps) have returned after a mile and sent for a trailer. But do post up the 'cause' of the problem, and the fix if completed.

Last edited:

wandering neurons

I've pulled the steering column and checked the joints. There's no slop there, especially 1/2 turn worth of slop. But I'll give it a try with the wheels in the air and see what happens.

wandering neurons

I've got the TMs downloaded on both tablets. I've been advised to take a BFH to the brake pads to make sure that a brake set isn't hung.

Checking fluid level in the hub is on my to-do list. I'm not looking forward to checking bearings, because that also means setting lash on the front hub cover, right?

wandering neurons

With the truck stopped, it's tough to turn the wheels, like there's not a lot of power to the power steering. Tie rods and drag link are new and the ends are tight.
I may hit you up for the steering box, it's the only thing that I can think of that could cause the "locking" that I was experiencing early on. And if the valves in the box are sticking, could cause the slop or delay in the steering between input and action.

wandering neurons

It sounds like you’ve eliminated the drag link and tie rod ends. My money is on the steering box itself or wheel bearings. Can you have someone sit in the cab and operate the steering while you lay underneath? Or maybe just leave a cellphone camera down there while you operate the wheel if you don’t trust anyone that much. Often a visual inspection while the parts are moving will give you a clue of where to start. You may even hear something that isn’t obvious from the cab.

Of of course there is a lot of additional reading on the geared hubs if you end up R&R them for a bearing service.
Good idea of using the camera to observe steering. I could also pull the backup camera and temporarily mount it in the wheel well to watch while driving. And yes, I've seen how much help Suprman is!

wandering neurons

With the amount of slack you are reporting it's a wonder you did not spot the guilty component the minute you got home and inspected the steering assembly all the way through, with a helper. And if it drove so badly I would (perhaps) have returned after a mile and sent for a trailer. But do post up the 'cause' of the problem, and the fix if completed.
Trailering was not an option. I just kept the speed down and was very careful. I live down a lot of secondary roads so speed and blocking traffic wasn't an issue. Just a struggle to keep it in the lane.

The gear box externally looks good. It's hard to see what's going on inside. Maybe Suprman's x-ray vision would help...

And yes, will post what I find fixes the problem!

wandering neurons

I just purchased my M1081 from another SS member in our area... I am in Northern VA so we arent far from each-other. But that is where my usefulness ends. Sorry I cant help more with that problem, I am just learning the platform myself.
Crazy the folks in the area that have MVs. There was an event several years ago in Manassas, lots of recreators and vehicles. Maybe when I'm operational we can have a get-together with other operators!

How is your M1081 doing? Many repairs?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the engine is running and you have weak steering while stopped it's the power steering pump or box. If there is play I would think it's the box over the pump. Did you check the power steering fluid level? If so how does it look/smell?

wandering neurons

If the engine is running and you have weak steering while stopped it's the power steering pump or box. If there is play I would think it's the box over the pump. Did you check the power steering fluid level? If so how does it look/smell?
Power steering fluid was drained/refilled several times while replacing hoses and reservoir but will check this weekend.
Suprman, you've pretty much convinced me it's the box. Weak power assist while stopped and play while driving, especially at higher speeds. Steering box.

Q: Can the steering box be R&R'ed without pulling the radiator?
Q2: Would you PM me your price for your steering box?
Thx for both.

More to follow after this weekend!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I haven't had to replace a steer box yet. Have to look in the manual at the replacement procedure. I think it can be swapped without pulling the radiator.

wandering neurons

I haven't had to replace a steer box yet. Have to look in the manual at the replacement procedure. I think it can be swapped without pulling the radiator.
Well, if it comes to pass that the box is the problem, I'll do my best to document it, even though it's in the TMs. Thx for the PM,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks