• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want/forsale adds

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do away with this ridiculous 100 minimum post before you can list something for sale.What difference does it make how many posts you have?I would much rather have someone posting stuff the community might could use rather than him posting 100 pointless "Nice Ride" "My Dream Truck" and so on before he is allowed to post a Classifed Ad.I was able to post them awhile back but now cannot?I have been on this board a couple of years registered and a few more lurking and will generally contact someone privately rather than beating my gums for the whole world to hear and cluttering up the forums with idle chatter.When I listed something for sale or a want ad I listed my email address and a phone number anyways,so why is this in place to begin with?What is the gain in doing this and cluttering up legit posts with worthless pointless post by guys trying to build their post counts high enough to be able to list something in the Classified section.
The previous rule was a post count of 5 and this is only your second post so you still shouldn't have been able to post in the classifieds . The idea with the post count is to encourage people to make useful contributions to the desucsions of MV ,not to sign up to use a free classified ad as many have done . Unless you have no knowledge of MV's you should be able to add information to help someone out with less knowledge , when you pm someone you help that person out , when you post your answer in the forum you help everyone with a similar problem out . You can get a post a day just pointing new people to sites with TM downloads .

micmccon

I too am new and wish the 100 post requirement could be revisited. I like many others will choose to read posts and not chime in because we DON'T yet have the knowledge to share with others. I am still waiting on my EUC to clear so I can get my first M.V. home. There's a lot of knowledge to be had from other members here but I agree that making 100 nonsensical posts is a little aggrivating (not bitchin'). Perhaps splitting the classifieds into "wanted" and "for sale" and having different posting limits for the two categories would be good so people don't use the site for advertising their stuff for free but can still put their needs out there for the more experienced members to help out or sell their personal inventory without themselves having to make up an ad. Just a thought... I still love the site and do appreciate the efforts of everyone making this better!

41cl8m5

I understand the 100 minimum post thing for posting in the classifieds to sale things. What I would like to see changed is to lower the number on the want adds, so noobs can see if someone here would be willing to work with those that don't have the "numbers". I have been here awhile and I don't post much because if your "new=low post #" alot of deep end things tend to happen. I don't need a life preserver because I can swim. I just chose to not to go down that road........but pushed, sometimes I will.

frogman2

I was able to post a Classified ad awhile back and definately had more than 1 or 2 post as it shows now.I would gladly spend $5 a year to have the freedom of full access instead of the rules changing on a whim and having to start all over again to satisfy the ruling body ( kind of like the Big government problem we are all facing).Don't get me wrong I mean no disrespect to the rulers of the board and appreciate the access to the wealth of information at virtually no cost,but what is to be gained by anyone in forcing them to have to have 100 post and be approved by the board in order to post a Classified ad.Just because you have alot of posts does not make you anymore informative or knowledgable than the guy with none and like the saying goes "Opinions are like @#$%^&*# everybody has one".When I registered on this board it was not required to have 100 post before you could have a Classified ad,so why am I being held to it now?Once again it is a Great board,just don't see the need in changing things for NO reason and nothing to gain from it?JMHO

41cl8m5

I was thinking about my last post. Hopefully no one was offended by it. that was not my intention. just it gets old seeing new ones try to do it right and miss or did not read a part of the "rules" and get chewed up and spit out.

frogman2

Simply put ,Why was the Classified Ad requirement changed to begin with ?
I was able to post before the change was made and had no issues,so shouldn't this only apply to new members ?Just a thought!

As for separating for sale and WTB, I agree. I hate looking through the classifieds and find the item I'm looking for, only to see it's someone else looking for it too.

And if you're selling someone, make it mandatory to list the price you want. You know what you want for it, don't make me contact you to find you want more than I want to pay for it. If the price is negotiable, say so.

Personnally, I'd pay $1 to list something for a month or so.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simply put ,Why was the Classified Ad requirement changed to begin with ?
I was able to post before the change was made and had no issues,so shouldn't this only apply to new members ?Just a thought!
First off it was not changed on a whim it had been discused for over a year.
It was changed because of abuse of the classifieds , people would sign up list there stuff for sale and not maintain their ads and never be heard from again .
If you have been here any lenght of time you should have made a few close contacts with members that can post in the classifieds ,if it's something that you really need to post your close contacts can assit you. By posting the whole community gets to in a way meet you and learn your views and interests , the whole point of the forum is to share knowledge and interest in MV's . The classifieds is a bonus for members that participate in sharing there knowledge . But most of all this is steelsoldiers and mangus's house and when your in their house you follow their rules.

stancanpara

Definitely !!!! Both ideas would be fantastic if it isn't TOO much work for the over worked and under appreciated Tech workers for this site...

By the way, thanks for an AWESOME site!!! Great work with all you have done!!!

frogman2

The Real simple fix.Your Ad will run for a limited amount of time,say 10,15,30 days for instance and then it is deleted,hence the mandatory maintenance on the posters part to stay on top of their own ad and repost as required.Mandate the seller list ,Location,PRICE,and Ample contact info,email address ,working phone number,etc.(You are trying to sell it so why would you want everyone have to jump through hoops to contact you)unless you need an excuse to hide behind or are afraid of the Boogy Man,I buy and sell alot of stuff over the internet and other sources all the time because I want to not because I have to or need the money therefore I leave every bit of contact info available to facilitate the deal and have never had any issues claimed by the whiners out there of soliciters or more truthfully bill collectors.What did you do before caller ID or the Internet?You listed a local ad in the paper or in a MV or Surplus magazine and left a PHONE NUMBER and actually spoke to people rather than this endless pointless banter back and forth on the internet.I don't know about everyone else but I would personally rather pick up the phone and call someone about an ad and still be able to do something rather than being tied to a desk on the internet waiting for my inquiry to be replied to.My phone works 24/7 where ever I am most of the time and if not leave a message and I WILL call you back.Nobody is that busy they can't take a phone call or return a call on something they are selling or they shouldn't be selling it in the first place.Make the sellers responsible for their actions and not punish the rest of us just because we don't have this week's quota post count.Just because you have a lot of post does make you a qualified Classified AD authority or capable for that matter.