• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

want to change out np205 fixed yoke for slip style

hokie8358

advantages or disadvantages? maybe you guys can help me out with this dilemma!! i ve got a np205 t-case that came out of a 86 chevy 1 ton 4x4, 4 door 3+3 model. so therefore it has the fixed yoke rear. i want to swap in the slip style rear tail housing so that away i can throw in the rear driveshaft and take off. i know now the fixed is alot stronger,but i am hitting a brick wall with coming up with the old style 2 piece rear driveshaft you have to have to make it work! on a budget so i really do not want to get one built for custom for 300 plus bucks!:evil: ya'll helped me before in here so work your magic on this one!! i ll be indebted to you guys forever!! lol

robert c neth

Banned
what t case do you have in there now ? the 205s have different spline counts for different automatics and if you make the 205 a slip yoke it may be to long for your current drive shaft.

ODdave

In 86 spline count was the same between auto and manual (32 spline) and where only offered behind 1 auto (th400). You may need to get a shaft biult anyway because I do not belive that the 205 and 208 are the same lenght.

If a budget is the biggest concern... as ODdave stated, you may have to have one built anyways, the cheapest path would be to go to junkyard and find another front slip double cardan driveshaft from a civi K5 or k20 truck, ( $20-50 ) and have it stretched or shortened based on your application. ($100 )

I did this with my M1009, and actually had 3 built this way... F / R and spare... but i also changed the slip part of shaft to a 8" slip and went with 1350 style joints. ( $150ea in parts ) It was costly but still cheaper than going all new ($4-500ea)...

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Add to the fixed yoke, in the event of a rear axle failure. You can pull the driveshaft and drive around on the front axle.

bchesley

I recently had two shafts built for my 09 and got a great deal from Tallon Driveshafts in Utah. He has a big ebay store. I am super impressed with the quality. They run down the highway smooth as silk. I originally bought the rear shaft only, but after seeing his work and price I quickly ordered another for the front. Check them out.

Brad

flighht2k5

Banned
advantages or disadvantages? maybe you guys can help me out with this dilemma!! i ve got a np205 t-case that came out of a 86 chevy 1 ton 4x4, 4 door 3+3 model. so therefore it has the fixed yoke rear. i want to swap in the slip style rear tail housing so that away i can throw in the rear driveshaft and take off. i know now the fixed is alot stronger,but i am hitting a brick wall with coming up with the old style 2 piece rear driveshaft you have to have to make it work! on a budget so i really do not want to get one built for custom for 300 plus bucks!:evil: ya'll helped me before in here so work your magic on this one!! i ll be indebted to you guys forever!! lol
I think you have it backwards. With the fixed yoke you can't take the driveshaft off and still drive it. With the slip yoke, if you take it off it will leak the gear oil out of the tcase. Why do you think there is slip yoke eliminater kits for serious offroading?

chevyCUCV

What about the 4x4 80's chevy dump trucks. They have np205s and i remember them having fixed yokes.

I would spend some time in a junkyard looking for anything that looks right, some have a driveshaft section where they pull them before they pick the trucks up.

dstang97

What about the 4x4 80's chevy dump trucks. They have np205s and i remember them having fixed yokes.

I would spend some time in a junkyard looking for anything that looks right, some have a driveshaft section where they pull them before they pick the trucks up.
Cab and chasis has a longer wheel base. And usually a carrier bearing.

chevyCUCV

Dstang--Even the one's with 8 foot beds?
You can also look at late 70's chevy's when they only used fixed yoke 205/203's

Don be afraid to check out older fords and dodges too, thats what i would do.

hokie8358

thanks for all the replys and info. i did fail to mention that this was going on a m1028 86 model with 39.5 boggers and truck has 6in. lift and 2in. body lift. the 208 slip yoke works good now with the skyjacker t-case lowering kit in it, bout 1.5 in. also to add to this, i was considering putting in a 92 model 4l80e to gain the 4th gear for hiway miles. found a place to get a sensor and linkage so you can run that tranny on a non computer engine! what ya'll think on that one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks