• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to install Equus 6244 Oil pressure gauge

chief1983

Plan on picking this up, but thought I would ask if anyone knew any extra parts I would need, to maybe save me 30 minutes per drive to the Lowes or O'reilly each time I find I'm missing a part. Part I'm planning on buying is here:

Equus 6244 - Oil Pressure Gauge | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Unless there's some reason to get the mechanical 6234 instead, which doesn't even come with any extra hardware. I want to install a T to keep my idiot light switch active, if possible. Anyone know what sizes the T needs for that to work?

rnd-motorsports

try and find a brass tee Its going to be 1/8 pipe Myself I would go with a mechanical more dependable then elect. is just that another electrical thing to go bad!

Sunpro Cp7556 Oil Pressure Tee Adaptor Kit - Brass

this is just a sample there are may opps but stay with brass
That is a nice lookin gauge![thumbzup]

rnd-motorsports

the tee can be any brand even steel brass is just better will not rust I just included the pic for your ref. As far as a gauge the better you can afford the better it will work for the most part the gauge you had listed will work great they are good gauges everything you need other then the tee will come with the gauge if you use electric the sender will come with the better gauges and mechanical will come with the fittings and hose except the tee and really easy to install

1986Blazerk5

Plan on picking this up, but thought I would ask if anyone knew any extra parts I would need, to maybe save me 30 minutes per drive to the Lowes or O'reilly each time I find I'm missing a part. Part I'm planning on buying is here:

Equus 6244 - Oil Pressure Gauge | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Unless there's some reason to get the mechanical 6234 instead, which doesn't even come with any extra hardware. I want to install a T to keep my idiot light switch active, if possible. Anyone know what sizes the T needs for that to work?
I installed the mechanical one of that and i loved it. tap into where the valve is on one of the oil coiling lines that's what i did and the idiot light still works and i DIDN'T NEED TO BUY ANY PARTS

Attachments

chief1983

Ah right, I did see that pic while browsing for existing information on gauges, but I guess the big issue I have with this site is just that sometimes it's like an information overload, and I have to keep revisiting threads until enough of it sinks in. Maybe I will try that tap like you suggest.

chief1983

Strange, when I went to O'Reilly, they had all the gauges on display. The 6234 had a note below that said tubing kit 9901 was required, and not included. But the 9901 on the rack was a plastic tubing kit, and oddly enough, when they brought the gauge out, it did seem to have the same contents as the 9901 kit they had on display. Plastic tubing, threaded adapters, screws, etc all in the gauge box. So like Brighton said, I don't think I'll need any extra hardware, although when I do my permanent installation I may consider finding the correct copper tubing kit, thanks for pointing that out. I may have the part # of the one in store confused, but I don't think their product descriptions have been keeping up with their product contents.

tamecrow

Strange, when I went to O'Reilly, they had all the gauges on display. The 6234 had a note below that said tubing kit 9901 was required, and not included. But the 9901 on the rack was a plastic tubing kit, and oddly enough, when they brought the gauge out, it did seem to have the same contents as the 9901 kit they had on display. Plastic tubing, threaded adapters, screws, etc all in the gauge box. So like Brighton said, I don't think I'll need any extra hardware, although when I do my permanent installation I may consider finding the correct copper tubing kit, thanks for pointing that out. I may have the part # of the one in store confused, but I don't think their product descriptions have been keeping up with their product contents.
Amazon has the 9901 listed as copper as well.

Amazon.com: Equus 9901 Copper Tubing Kit: Automotive

chief1983

Well I'm going to stop by O'Reilly again soon anyway, I'll try to see what that part number was I saw on the shelf. Also, I should be installing my gauge today, will try to add pics of the contents and the process. When I finally get this thing fired up, what would a good pressure reading look like? I can't find it in the TMs.

SGT Estum

Well I'm going to stop by O'Reilly again soon anyway, I'll try to see what that part number was I saw on the shelf. Also, I should be installing my gauge today, will try to add pics of the contents and the process. When I finally get this thing fired up, what would a good pressure reading look like? I can't find it in the TMs.
Looking forward to the pictures. I'm curious to see where you mount the gauge in the cab. Always looking for creative mounting spots.

chief1983

I got the mechanical gauge after all, installed it temporarily in the engine compartment. Bit of an issue though, the little valve in the attached pic leaks when I open it up to let pressure reach the gauge. Should I have hooked it up in a way that it doesn't need that valve, or do I just need to replace the valve with one that doesn't leak?

For reference, I removed the hardware circled in red, attached the gauge hookup with its included hardware, and the valve circled in black is what's leaking.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, my pump's still pushing 50+ psi shortly after a cold start, so I guess it's good for the time being :)

Attachments

Last edited:

chief1983

Yeah that crossed my mind, but I don't think the hardware on the other side of the valve bolted up nicely without needing additional parts. But I suppose getting an adapter would be easier than a replacement valve.

rnd-motorsports

Very true! besides I can not think of any reason to need the valve before you remove it there should be a nut under the valve tee handle you may tighten it ever so slightly with it turned on the packing may just be loose! till you get your adapter. if you plan on keeping the gauge i would loose the valve it fails while your driving and spray oil in engine compartment could start a fire pretty easy!

chief1983

Tightening that nut did seem to stop it from leaking. I may still just take it off and put a straight adapter in though anyway, just to be safe, but it works for diagnostics for now until I get the gauge in permanently.