• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to put A/C in a M925A1... anyone got pictures of their install?

scootertrs

I do not think it is an option, you need airflow to get ac to work or you will overpressure your system. (that is why ac shops have these big fans blowing into the radiator when they are testing the system for an extended amount of time) I know that until my truck is at about 150 or so, I don't have any real flow. My fan barely turns when cold and the ac is working from the get-go. I have not watched it with this in mind, but the red dot units they sell for the camelbacks have their own fans. I wonder if bbf who has the armored 900 trucks or any other member with with ac has noticed what they do in those trucks. maybe a different fan clutch? I don't know if I am making a big deal about nothing, but I know that the compressor costs more than the entire kit and that is what would be hurt by overpressure.

I was thinking the same thing but fitting a fan and a condensor in between the radiator and the grill would prove to be a challenge while keeping it looking stock from the outside. I dont quite remember the clearance between the radiator and the condensor but I know there isn't alot of room.

goldneagle

I do not think it is an option, you need airflow to get ac to work or you will overpressure your system. (that is why ac shops have these big fans blowing into the radiator when they are testing the system for an extended amount of time) I know that until my truck is at about 150 or so, I don't have any real flow. My fan barely turns when cold and the ac is working from the get-go. I have not watched it with this in mind, but the red dot units they sell for the camelbacks have their own fans. I wonder if bbf who has the armored 900 trucks or any other member with with ac has noticed what they do in those trucks. maybe a different fan clutch? I don't know if I am making a big deal about nothing, but I know that the compressor costs more than the entire kit and that is what would be hurt by overpressure.
Well I have 2 solutions to the fan clutch issue. 1- Use the bolts provided to lock the fan on all the time. 2- Install an inline T into the air hose feeding the fan clutch and attach a separate air feed to activate it. You can control the new air feed with a switch on the dash or some type of thermal switch tied into the A/C circuit (condenser). Option 2 allows using the fan ON only when needed VS all the time.

scootertrs

spectacular. I can just use a 24V air solenoid valve to switch the fan on whenever the ac is on. I did not know the fan was air actuated. Thanks gotta ove SS .

Well I have 2 solutions to the fan clutch issue. 1- Use the bolts provided to lock the fan on all the time. 2- Install an inline T into the air hose feeding the fan clutch and attach a separate air feed to activate it. You can control the new air feed with a switch on the dash or some type of thermal switch tied into the A/C circuit (condenser). Option 2 allows using the fan ON only when needed VS all the time.

goldneagle

spectacular. I can just use a 24V air solenoid valve to switch the fan on whenever the ac is on. I did not know the fan was air actuated. Thanks gotta ove SS .
You can steal the air from the fan clutch thermal valve (switch). Tap a T before the thermal switch and another T after it. Put your 24 volt solenoid between the T's. You will basically have 2 switch to feed the same fan clutch.

I love that air valve idea I only thought of the bolts for the fan. It would be cheap and easy which is always best! I could just tie in the solenoid with the compressor clutch which would engage the fan every time the compressor is told to kick in from the temp gauge in the fan unit.

Today I installed the drier which was about a 15 minute job. It was pretty easy and I had to do no modification which is always good. I found a spot located at the front right of the truck. It was a perfect fit. Here are the pictures. photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

scootertrs

Did a bit more thinking (scary)... why couldn't I just install a relay getting power off the compressor clutch power that would in turn activate the valve for the fan clutch. If I was concerned about backfeeding for any reason, I could isolate it using a diode.

You can steal the air from the fan clutch thermal valve (switch). Tap a T before the thermal switch and another T after it. Put your 24 volt solenoid between the T's. You will basically have 2 switch to feed the same fan clutch.

Did a bit more thinking (scary)... why couldn't I just install a relay getting power off the compressor clutch power that would in turn activate the valve for the fan clutch. If I was concerned about backfeeding for any reason, I could isolate it using a diode.
Thats what I was thinking of doing as well, then it would be all automatic.

scootertrs

I spoke with someone a few minutes ago that said another SS member had mounted the ac evap unit under the dash (with some small mod to the box of the evap unit) waiting to hear from him for details-supposedly kept the batteries in the cab!

Thats what I was thinking of doing as well, then it would be all automatic.

What I meant was hooking up the pnematic solenoid the way you described with the t's and then using the electrical power source from the compressor clutch (which engages/disengages the clutch) to activate the solenoid, engaging the fan, and have the a/c compressor engaged all at once.

goldneagle

What I meant was hooking up the pnematic solenoid the way you described with the t's and then using the electrical power source from the compressor clutch (which engages/disengages the clutch) to activate the solenoid, engaging the fan, and have the a/c compressor engaged all at once.

COOL :tank:

jimmcld

Have any of your customers ever installed one in an 816?

I have several Red dot Universal A/C setups, that were made for Hmmwvs, But customers used them for other trucks.
Attached are some pics of one in a M35A3...Let me know if interested, new in the box. $1,250.00....
Kevin..301.922.2009 cell...

PS, I have both compressors...V-Belt and Serpertine...

So today I went ahead and took out the old heater in the truck. I did some measuring and it looks like the evap box will fit! I will have to remove the support right above the heater that also holds the engine diagnostic recepticle plug out of the way. Thats easy! Then I can put the box mostly under the dash and it will give the passenger probably even more foot room. I hope installing this box won't be too hard.:tank:

scootertrs

You can take point any day sir. Awesome.

So today I went ahead and took out the old heater in the truck. I did some measuring and it looks like the evap box will fit! I will have to remove the support right above the heater that also holds the engine diagnostic recepticle plug out of the way. Thats easy! Then I can put the box mostly under the dash and it will give the passenger probably even more foot room. I hope installing this box won't be too hard.:tank:

Well today I tore the dash apart in order get all the tubes out and clear a space for the evap box by the passengers feet except I ran into a problem. DANG! The box is just a little to long to clear the middle bump thing by about 2 inches. Looks like I will have to cut a square out of it in order to make it fit. Maybe I could heat it up with a torch and just bend and stretch it in order tomake the box fit. Don't you hate it when you run into a problem! I will be gone over the weekend so I can't work on it then so it will have to wait a few days. Hopefully I can make it fit. I have more than one option but I want to hear your guys input before I decide.

1) I could mount the evap box inside but willhave to either cut/bend the bump thing or cut into the stock air vent in order to gain more room.
2) I could mount the evap box under the hood where there is plenty of room but would have to figure out how to recirculate the cab air. This option probably wouldn't produce as cool of air due to being right next to engine. I could probably insulate the whole thing. This option would give the passenger EVEN more room.

I don't know which to choose but after writing this out I am kind of leaning to the under the hood option because it would probably be easier except for the recirculating air vent.

scootertrs

I will bust out my evap box out this weekend and start trying the fit... have not gotten there yet

Well today I tore the dash apart in order get all the tubes out and clear a space for the evap box by the passengers feet except I ran into a problem. DANG! The box is just a little to long to clear the middle bump thing by about 2 inches. Looks like I will have to cut a square out of it in order to make it fit. Maybe I could heat it up with a torch and just bend and stretch it in order tomake the box fit. Don't you hate it when you run into a problem! I will be gone over the weekend so I can't work on it then so it will have to wait a few days. Hopefully I can make it fit. I have more than one option but I want to hear your guys input before I decide.

1) I could mount the evap box inside but willhave to either cut/bend the bump thing or cut into the stock air vent in order to gain more room.
2) I could mount the evap box under the hood where there is plenty of room but would have to figure out how to recirculate the cab air. This option probably wouldn't produce as cool of air due to being right next to engine. I could probably insulate the whole thing. This option would give the passenger EVEN more room.

I don't know which to choose but after writing this out I am kind of leaning to the under the hood option because it would probably be easier except for the recirculating air vent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks