• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanted 12volt B/O driveing Light

oztankboy

Thanks Rustsleeps but the type i an after is the same as whats used on M38's and M38A1 in appearence but it is 12 volt as apposed to 24 volt. You can 6 volt and 24 volt easly but oddlt 12 volt is the odd one out :(

Phil...

Hightechken

A number of different BO lights use a single contact bulb inside the housing and not the sealed beam. The trick is to find the entire light with that type of set up and just replace the bulb with a 12 volt bulb.

plym49

I got a 12volt unit from one of the on-line surplus vendors. I am sorry that I do not remember who; it might have been Saturn but I am not sure. However, it has the single contact conventional bulb inside. It is a plastic knock-off and it was not expensive.

Here is are a couple of photos - I mounted it on my DD civilian YJ Jeep, painted black to match, the wire is shrink-wrapped and I used military connectors.

IMG00465-20110408-1808.jpg

IMG00464-20110408-1808.jpg

Last edited:

Hightechken

I just got a LED single contact bulb to replace the incandescent in mine, While it runs lots cooler and draws lots less power, It does not produce the same amount of light..... I suspect mostly because the focal length of the LED's being different?

mutt1966

you can use the blackout light from the CUCV series of vehicles they look the most correct and are 12Volt, they are plastic and would 'ave ta change the connector give a coat of semi-gloss O.D. and your good ta go. Scott O&O

plym49

I happened to be on the Saturn Surplus site today and they indeed have a 12v plastic version, and that is indeed where I got mine. It is something like $28 and it has a conventional singly filament bulb inside. Mine casts a nice flat pattern down in front, just like it should.

oztankboy

Thanks for your help guys! Never thought it would be quite so hard to get a genuine 12 volt B/O driveing light. But I guess most US military vehicles were either 6 volt in WW2 then most of the fleet went 24 volt.

Phil...

oztankboy

I happened to be on the Saturn Surplus site today and they indeed have a 12v plastic version, and that is indeed where I got mine. It is something like $28 and it has a conventional singly filament bulb inside. Mine casts a nice flat pattern down in front, just like it should.
The Saturn site is great to look through and get the "I wants" but unfortunatly they don't export aua

Phil...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks