• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanted: Deuce Mechanic + Body Shop in Austin

dw9339

Gents (and ladies?):

I am looking for suggestions on a mechanic and a body shop for my new deuce in Austin, TX. Anywhere within a 30 mile radius of downtown would work for either.

The mechanic I was planning on using, as it turns out, is not familiar with MV's and I would prefer to find someone who has experience working on a deuce. The mechanic should be able to provide a thorough inspection of the truck to tell me what is/is not working, install a three way light switch, and determine if the winch is working, because visual evidence from the GL listing could suggest that it is not. If the winch is broken, I would like a bid to repair it.

Also, I would like to get a coat of OD green put on the truck. I don't have access to a spot to perform the work, so I'm hoping I can get that done by a shop in town for a reasonable amount of money.

All suggestions/feedback welcome.

Thank you

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone should be able to read a book and install a light switch or operate a winch. This is 1950's technology. It is very very basic. I am not trying to be a jacka$$ but removing 4 screws and unscrewing a plug is easy. All the info is in the TM. If you just won one you need to go to the resources section and check out the manuals.:beer:

dw9339

I see two problems with me being the mechanic for the truck: 1) I don't have a spot to work on it. I will keep it about 50 minutes away from my house on the land my father in law owns. Due to the remote nature of the property, both from where I live and from the nearest auto parts store, maintenance would be difficult to perform at that location. 2) Since this is a new-to-me truck, I would like someone to give it a once-over to give me a clean bill of health to drive. Plus the winch I want fixed quickly as I have a project lined up for it already.

zout

Not having a clue as to your mechanical abilities - and just reading your posts allow me to add my .02cents worth.

IF you have a shop work on it - be there to watch him if he would allow it - most shops do not for liability reasons and insurance reasons and second - they have spent a great deal of time to learn their abilities and will not be happy to give it away for FREE - no matter if you are paying the bill or not.

As good members mentioned above - get into the TM's and get lots of printer paper and start making yourself manuals. These also list the tools you need to bring that 50 miles to work on each item you tackle.
Just reading these TM's will give you knowledge that cannot be taken away from youi (like that shop you want to hire).

Another good member metioned this is 50's mechanical technology - it does not get any simpler than this - these guys that designed this stuff (like ole John Deere tractors) were mechanical genius's.

50 miles - read what you need to make the repair and bring a little extra tools along that you think you may need - sit back and start working on it.
The more you start to tackle yourself the better. That shop will not be around when it breaks and you should know your equipment to get you by.

Good Luck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gents (and ladies?):

I am looking for suggestions on a mechanic and a body shop for my new deuce in Austin, TX. Anywhere within a 30 mile radius of downtown would work for either.

The mechanic I was planning on using, as it turns out, is not familiar with MV's and I would prefer to find someone who has experience working on a deuce. The mechanic should be able to provide a thorough inspection of the truck to tell me what is/is not working, install a three way light switch, and determine if the winch is working, because visual evidence from the GL listing could suggest that it is not. If the winch is broken, I would like a bid to repair it.

Also, I would like to get a coat of OD green put on the truck. I don't have access to a spot to perform the work, so I'm hoping I can get that done by a shop in town for a reasonable amount of money.

All suggestions/feedback welcome.

Thank you

Let me start by saying that I am not giving you a hard time, I am just trying to be realistic...

These trucks are 25+ (more like 40+) years old. They can be dependable but things will break. Just like any vehicle that age, it will require maintenance and upkeep. With that being said. either you learn to do it or find someone with the "smarts" to work on old stuff.

You will NOT find the parts at your local parts house so you don't have to worry about driving to the store to pickup parts. Most parts will need to be ordered from Surplus dealers or from other MV owners.

Finding a mechanic that will inspect a Deuce and give it a clean bill of health will be next to impossible unless he/she was in the military and worked in the motorpool. These trucks are not listed in any shop repair/time manual so unless they have some experience with them they will not have a clue.

Your best bet is to find a local Deuce owner, buy him/her dinner and have them look it over.

As far a a body shop, the same applies. Unless you can find an oldtime shop that does custom work, you most likely won't find anybody to touch it.

You can always take it to Memphis Equipment and have them give you a quote. They have all the tools, parts and experience to totally rebuild the truck from top to bottom. Just bring your Armored Car with a load of cash. :shock:

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Whether or not you get the mechanic and painter you desire, you still need to download the operator's manual for the Deuce. This is very much a "hands on" hobby, and armed with the correct manuals, you are able to do quite a few tasks including inspections.

silveradohd39

I firmly believe if you cannot work on this truck yourself, you bought the wrong truck. These trucks do require constant inspection of brakes, air system, engine, etc. And these are all safety issues. If you have no idea how they function, and dont care to work on it yourself, you are just a safety hazard to yourself and everyone else on the road. I would highly encourage you to get all the manuals you can, and start reading them. This will give you all the info you need to know about these vehicles. Good luck with your truck.
Thomas

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lonestar MVPA meets next Wed at Camp Mabry. Show up and talk to some of the other deuce owners (there is a growing, and I mean GROWING number of us). I can certainly help you install the light switch and show you around the winch (what appears wrong with it?), and give you pointers on doing basic maintenance. Since I live in San Antonio though, I can't just drop by to help with it.

Trust me, I've had mechincal issues that I had 2 or 3 different friends on the line helping out with. Last time was about 2 weeks ago when I had PAWNSHOP go out to his truck to tell me where a wayward ground cable went while I was sitting in the parking lot at a car show. Last weekend I replaced the entire charging system in my CUCV (and I know NOTHING about electrical work) based solely on a thread by LAVAROCK. Have a little faith in your own abilities and try fixing things by going to the TM or a friend for help.

Last edited:

XM 2742

What year is the deuce? Gasser or diesel? I'm 90 miles from Austin and might just be able to do a few things for ya depending on time and availability.

Barrman

Show up tomorrow night for the LSMVPA meeting at Mabry. I might not be there, but as pointed out above. 6-12 M35 owners are almost always at the meetings. Where is this family land you are keeping it at? We have a lot of people 30-60 miles out in just about all directions from Austin.

treysoucie

Lonestar MVPA meets next Wed at Camp Mabry. Show up and talk to some of the other deuce owners (there is a growing, and I mean GROWING number of us). I can certainly help you install the light switch and show you around the winch (what appears wrong with it?), and give you pointers on doing basic maintenance. Since I live in San Antonio though, I can't just drop by to help with it.

Trust me, I've had mechincal issues that I had 2 or 3 different friends on the line helping out with. Last time was about 2 weeks ago when I had PAWNSHOP go out to his truck to tell me where a wayward ground cable went while I was sitting in the parking lot at a car show. Last weekend I replaced the entire charging system in my CUCV (and I know NOTHING about electrical work) based solely on a thread by LAVAROCK. Have a little faith in your own abilities and try fixing things by going to the TM or a friend for help.

hey brother youre right down the street from me ;) ha, I have plenty of deuce questions if youre up to the task...

digitaldust

You can do it! its just HOLYCOWITSGREEATBIG syndrome
how ever your a new deuce owner . I had the same feelings . Right after I got my truck the trans broke. I'm very happy I learned about it. Now when things go wrong I feel , Heck I did a trans rebuild how bad can ... Fuel stop eng cable , Filter changes ,,, M109a3 box 24v system .. fuel line popped .. all things I have fixed this year . Hay even changed glass in the window frame in the first 2 days I had the truck ,,,,,

R T F M

Read the free Manuals .....

My Volvo and Benz the books were $$$$ and not very helpfull

BTW WELCOME TO SS

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks