• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanted: pictures and/or dimensions of deuce without bed

jharshman

I'm planning my dump bed conversion... I wonder if anyone could post pictures of deuces without the bed on? The more, the better. I'm not going the typical scavenged hoist route - I'll be puting regular cylinder(s) in instead. Right now I'm figuring the angles, pressures, capacities, etc.

I found a few helpful pictures on here. More would help, since I can't have my truck right here beside my desk at work... :) And I still have the bed on my truck.

And does anyone know how much space is between the frame rail and the stock rear tire? Or how close the tire comes to the frame when it articulates? You can probably guess what I'm considering.

Thanks!

Attachments

jharshman

Ok, so I havn't received any help yet as far as no-bed pictures.... :( but I have figured a few things out since the last post. There is about 7-inches clear between the inside dual stock wheel and the frame rail. More than enough for a 3" bore cylinder on each side. So here's a picture of my plan:

Attachments

mckeeranger

Something I've always wondered about the dump deuce conversion; Do you have to beef up the bed, or can it take the stress of being lifted in the middle without folding?

Just wondering.

BTW, your drawing makes your truck look like Wonder Woman's jet. Just an observation.

jharshman

I think the subframe rails of the bed are plenty strong. I've been told the bed decking is the weak link. I'm designing for 5-tons, which isn't really a lot of weight for a dump truck. But I haven't checked the math on the strength of the subframe rails... I'll post it if I do.

One of the reasons I like the dual cylinders outside the frame rails is because they will push directly from the main frame to the bed sub frame with even pressure on each side. (And I don't have to fab any cross members for a single cylinder in the middle, or mess with all the cross members between the frame rails.) Dual 3in cylinders running 2500psi just barely gets me 6-tons of initial lift with the angles I have in mind.

Wonder Woman, huh? Well, I guess she was hot....

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the further apart the cylinders, the less likely they will push with even pressure. could result in a BIG problem. unless you use a positive displacement flow divider.

tom

gunboy1656

Something I've always wondered about the dump deuce conversion; Do you have to beef up the bed, or can it take the stress of being lifted in the middle without folding?

Just wondering.

BTW, your drawing makes your truck look like Wonder Woman's jet. Just an observation.
There was a post not long ago about someone selling a truck, that had a bed buckle because of a lack of support. I don't remember what the weight was that was in the bed.

jharshman

I bet it makes a huge difference if you had the fold down sides. I don't - I have the hard sides and troop seats. When I have a chance I'll measure the subframe rails and calculate just how strong they are or aren't.... Does anyone reading this know what size C-channel they are and how thick the steel is?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've installed dumps on two deuces. The bed frame is fairly light for a dump bed. On my truck I added a 2X2X1/4" square tube to the bottom of the rails just to make sure (It is a dropside though).

I'm not so sure I like your hoist idea. As has already been said, with the cylinders mounted on the outside of the frame on each side you could have problems. If you don't use some sort of flow divider you will end up either twisting the bed, turning the truck over, or both. Without the flow divider, this setup will not deliver equal pressure to both sides. Whichever cylinder has the least resistance will be the one that moves.

jharshman

Change in plans anyway. I just bought a hydraulic setup from an old dump truck. I got a pump, reservior, and big 3-stage cylinder for $150. Sounded like a good deal to me. So plans are now to use a single cylinder in the middle, squeezed in between all those frame cross members.... not sure how that's going to work out yet.... Might have to remove one of the middle ones.

Thanks to sodslinger's picture, here's my thought on it today (you can see the cross member that's in the way):

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about putting a hoist on my truck like what is in your drawing. I ran into the same problems you are. There's just not much room to hang down below the frame with all the crossmembers and the tandem axles. I ended up going with a scissor hoist that fit between the bed and frame. Looks like you might run into driveline clearance issues also.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just used that link cause it sounded like he was getting ready for a single cyl install. I knew GT had some good pics of his in that thread. I guess I need to go read your threads too now! :beer:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just giving him more options and those were the only threads that came to mind at the moment.

Yes, I had forgot about GT's single cylinder dump. Gringeltaube is pretty much the authority on dump conversions (among other things). Most of the design on the dump on my truck is his.

jharshman

Thanks for the thread links - that's what I needed!! I tried searching the forums but never turned up anything really useful. Those were perfect links. Now that I've scratched my head raw with thinking, I may have to actually start doing some work on my truck.

I like the idea of fab'ing the hinge first so I can prop the bed up and figure the options with the cylinder I bought. Anybody ever have success with an engine/pully driven hyrdaulic pump?

Here's one more idea I had. I see some civi dumps have the lift cylinder boxed into the front of the bed. So to avoid the main frame cross members and the driveline, and with a bit of steel fab work to the bed, here's a sketch of another concept:

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the thread links - that's what I needed!! I tried searching the forums but never turned up anything really useful. Those were perfect links. Now that I've scratched my head raw with thinking, I may have to actually start doing some work on my truck.

I like the idea of fab'ing the hinge first so I can prop the bed up and figure the options with the cylinder I bought. Anybody ever have success with an engine/pully driven hyrdaulic pump?

Here's one more idea I had. I see some civi dumps have the lift cylinder boxed into the front of the bed. So to avoid the main frame cross members and the driveline, and with a bit of steel fab work to the bed, here's a sketch of another concept:
That sketch will work fine. The only down side is that you're going to have to build a "dog house" in the front of your bed. It's not really a problem but if you're going for the stock look you're going to have that dog house sticking up.

I haven't ever used a belt drive pump. I do know that alot of them have a fairly low GPM though. The cylinder that you have is going to require a fairly high GPM pump or it's going to be awfully slow. IMO it's easier and about the same money just to go ahead a use a PTO pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks