• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanting to buy a M923A2 from GL

Ryanh184

Hello everyone, first I would like say I am glad to be on here, and look forward to all the site has to offer.

I plan on bidding on a M923A2 here in the near future, and since I live in AZ, I am looking in CA. Anyone picked up any trucks there before? Curious what to expect, since I do plan on driving it home, a little over 300 miles.

I understand that GL listings are vague at best, though most listings do specify if the truck runs and moves.

I've been a Diesel Mechanic for 12 plus years, and seems to me if it starts and runs, moves and stops, it shouldn't take that much to make it worthy for a trip. Of course there's always the chance of failure, but seems like I have a decent shot at getting one home.

I'd plan on bringing all the fluids, probably new batteries, and of course a good bunch of tools.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnSnow

I got one out of Fontana 2 weeks ago and it's in great shape. I would suggest getting it previewed prior to bidding if you can as it will really help you not buy a trashed but "pretty" truck..

leo4x4

I live in an hour away form Fontana just bought a truck there 1 month ago, i didn't have any problems truck was fine drove it home.
once i left there gate i did check all fluids and belts, if you need help Pm me
or call Leo 818-415-9985

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please reread the forum rules about posting and asking questions about current and future auctions.

Last edited:

Triple C

Welcome, do a search on recovery's and you will find tons (pun intended) of helpful information. Just about everything you can imagine or experience has been dealt with. Also, start reading the TM's so you are familiar with the particular truck. You are already WAY ahead since you are a mechanic!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!!! I have picked up trucks from Fontana, Barstow and Nellis is the past. Fontana is by far the easiest to deal with.
Sounds like your on the right track with the fluids, tools, etc.
You may want to down load the TM's for the truck and read till your eyes bleed, LOL
You can down load them from here on S/S under the Tech manuals at the top of the page.

Ryanh184

I knew this would be the place to get all the answers, thank you all! And I will start reading up on the TM's for sure. Thanks again, you've been a huge help!

Barfkiller

I too have picked up trucks at Barstow and Fontana.

Fontana was easier as far as it is not a military base. I went down late Sunday night, spent the night in a motel and showed up at the truck center as it opened. The only issue I had was that I did not call ahead and get an appointment. I had to wait 2 hours. Call ahead and get the first appointment of the day.

There is a truck stop (actually three of 'em) just down the road to the west. Fuel up, check fluids, and tire pressures. The freeway on ramp is right there. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks