• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wants to die at idle

rattlecan6104

So before I left for the USS Ronald Reagan for 3 weeks, I drove the deuce around and everything was fine.( I usually drive it at least twice a week) The day after I came home, I took the deuce out for a spin, and noticed a little quirk. The truck runs and drives fine in all situations with no loss of power until I essentially go to stop, in other words, when I push in the clutch and the rpms drop to idle they drop further nearly killing the engine, then picking back up to idle at 800, and sometimes actually does kill the engine, at this point I just crank the engine over and it fires right up. Everything else works fine, still has same power levels, runs the same, sounds the same and idles just fine. I am currently running a fuel mixture of 50% diesel, 25% used motor oil, and 25% old gas. Im starting to think after 3 weeks of sitting still maby the fuels started to separate, and it is the old gas that is causing this.

SO... what do you guys think?

ctmustang

have the same problem with my truck since i recovered it. changed all filters cleaned tank. cans of sea foam seemed to help some doesn't die now .just drops rpm's really low and picks backup to normal idle now.:roll:

wdbtchr

My M51A2 did that when I first got it, did all the usual suspects, made no difference. It eventually fixed itself, maybe because I started running WMO? Don't know, but I'm running 100% WMO and it hasn't done it in years. Go figure!:roll:

Barrman

Change the fuel filters, drain out the crud in the bottom of the fuel tank, change the filters and change the filters. Carry spare filters as well. What idle speed does it have when it does idle?

rattlecan6104

Change the fuel filters, drain out the crud in the bottom of the fuel tank, change the filters and change the filters. Carry spare filters as well. What idle speed does it have when it does idle?
800, like I said, the only thing different is when it drops to idle it drops below and usually picks back up again, sometimes dies. everything else is normal and as it should be.

mrcucv

So before I left for the USS Ronald Reagan for 3 weeks, I drove the deuce around and everything was fine.( I usually drive it at least twice a week) The day after I came home, I took the deuce out for a spin, and noticed a little quirk. The truck runs and drives fine in all situations with no loss of power until I essentially go to stop, in other words, when I push in the clutch and the rpms drop to idle they drop further nearly killing the engine, then picking back up to idle at 800, and sometimes actually does kill the engine, at this point I just crank the engine over and it fires right up. Everything else works fine, still has same power levels, runs the same, sounds the same and idles just fine. I am currently running a fuel mixture of 50% diesel, 25% used motor oil, and 25% old gas. Im starting to think after 3 weeks of sitting still maby the fuels started to separate, and it is the old gas that is causing this.

SO... what do you guys think?
i know fuel doesnt last like it used to anymore. I dont know if it is the additives that has been doing it. Maybe the fuels could be gunking up i had a problem in a box truck of it stalling out at idle, but that was a gas job so its kinda different

BMCUSNAVY

CAN ANYONE HELP ME...... SORRY TOO BUST IN ON THIS THREAD. I HAVE TRIED NUMEROUS TIMES TO POST A NEW THREAD..... and nothing is working. Can you give me some guidance????????

rattlecan6104

CAN ANYONE HELP ME...... SORRY TOO BUST IN ON THIS THREAD. I HAVE TRIED NUMEROUS TIMES TO POST A NEW THREAD..... and nothing is working. Can you give me some guidance????????
I dont mind the busting in, but you are from oak harbor wa too? Are you the one driving the mysterious other deuce on the island?

Jakelc15

So what's the fix for this? mine does it too. It had always done it but now after a recent ip head replacement it will shut off sometimes.

CharlieM

I just picked up another M35A2 yesterday and it was doing the same thing. I pulled the cap off of the gas tank this morning and it smelled like old gas.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
So what's the fix for this? mine does it too. It had always done it but now after a recent ip head replacement it will shut off sometimes.
I just had my HH out again and mine wants to shut down at idle(runs awesome above 1000 RPM). As a band aid to get it home today I set the idle at about 1500rpm using the hand throttle. In my case I am pretty sure it is an issue with the fuel cutoff. If the end of the rod doesn't engage the arm correctly it may be cutting the fuel supply even when the handle is pushed in.

Jakelc15

Mine will idle pretty well most of the time. It's when I left off the throttle and push in the clutch like when stopping it wants to drop rpms so low it has trouble staying running. If it doesn't shut off it does recover back to 800 rpm idle. I think you are right about the fuel shut off being the issue. After the install of new ip head, the shutoff cable doesn't pull out as far. No time to mess with it before leaving for Aberdeen in the A.M. So I'll just keep feathering the pedal to keep it running.

rivired

my deuce did this when i was running gas and diesel mix..and didnt know my fdc was bypassed.. now that im running straight fresh diesel it runs perfect.. im curious to why it would happen.

Somemedic

When I ran unleaded in mine driving it back from Shelby it did not want to idle either. I dont know enough to say if the FDC is bypassed or not but what helped was draining water/fuel out of the primary. Could there be an issue with air getting into the lines as well?

rattlecan6104

since this issue, I ran the tank down and filled it up with a 75% WMO to 25% diesel and the truck ran fine. I later put straight WMO and still ran fine, with the exception of a little power loss in the top end. I have ran that tank out and filled up with straight diesel and am still running fine. I am starting to think for my particular situation it was the gasoline causing the problem.