• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

War Wagon Restoration

Billett

If anybody is interested I thought I would post the link to the Restoration of Soni Honeggers old War Wagon ... its coming along great. Most of you should remember this truck.

Warwagon MKV

Billett

A gentleman named Rob Bonney is doing the fabrication work for me. I will be doing the body abduction interior next. There is a total of 4 pages on that link posted so make sure you go through them all. His work is exceptional !!!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great work! I'm not so sure about the new bumper and brushguard assy, but it's your truck. How bad in condition was the original brushguard? I see you put it was "too far gone" but in the first pic it looks pretty solid.

I've loved this truck since I saw it's first incarnation in 1989 in Four Wheeler magazine, then it was in it again in 1992. Soni and the War Wagon are probably the two biggest factors for my being in the MV hobby today. I bid on this truck on eBay a few years ago, and I still have a hankering to build my own version of this in the future. Quite a truck, built my quite a MV builder. Glad it found a good home...

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Billett, do you plan on replicating the bumper-mounted chock blocks that were on the original incarnation? I think those were pretty useful for winching ops.

Billett

Originally when I spoke to Soni about this truck I kind of got the impression that this truck was more purpose built as a recovery vehicle for others that were stuck. A lot of that stuff I would probably never use besides the fact of the added weight to the vehicle front and rear. Im guessing when I say this but I think we removed about 400 pounds with the pieces removed from the underneath front and back.

So to answer your question I don't think I'll be adding the blocks at this time but its not something that couldn't be added down the line. I have more that I want to do with this truck but after this first phase of fabrication I have to weigh my options a bit.

Should I twin stick it ? Or do I put a 47RH overdrive transmission in ?

Do I replicate the canvas cover and cage originally on the bed? Leave it open ? Or create a new military type aluminum camper type shell ?

Im trying to find the right balance in all of this so that the truck is still recognized as "The Original War Wagon" but then maybe after a quick second glance you might notice a little tasteful updating but nothing that would look too out of place from the possibility of being on it originally.

I don't know about you but when I originally saw this vehicle I was in awe ... So its like how do you improve or update something that was originally perfect in my eyes without detracting from it ? You probably noticed those bumper extensions that capped the bottom of the front fenders on the older front brushguard/bumper picture we took ... Rob and I both felt like it looked out of place and didnt work with the originality of it ... so they were removed. Theres been quite a bit of trial and error but I think when its done it will look right .... or atleast I hope it does.

Billett

I'd also like to mention one more thing I really have to give most of the credit to Rob Bonney whos my fabricator that's been doing these modifications on this vehicle because without him this would would have been just a dream. His welding is impeccable and his eye for detail is nothing like I've ever seen. Much of the work that has been done was initiated with his design and ideas. Trying to replicate fabrication techniques and picture perfect welding like Soni Honegger is not something that's very easily done and I think Rob has done an unbelievable job of keeping it true to what it deserves when it comes to craftsmanship.

Attachments

Billett

Final Welding Of the Front Bumper Was Complete and Now Its Coming Home For Soda Blasting of the Undercarriage, Body Work and Paint !!

Attachments