• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warm Starts On Cold Mornings

SasquatchSanta

I've got a little Northern Minnesota cold morning starting trick that I'll reluctantly share. I say reluctantly, because some may think this is over the top but --- "it works".

I carry a propane torch
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...EARS&sid=I0093600100004900085&pid=00920690000

and a 20 pound bottle of propane in my deuce. I also haul around a piece of seven inch diameter, ten foot long stove pipe with a 90 degree elbow in one end.

Before starting on cold (below zero) mornings I position the stove pipe under the front bumper with the elbow pointing up toward the oil pan. The torch head is placed at the entrance of the other end of the pipe and allowed to heat the engine. The ten foot section is long enough to keep flame off the motor BUT you've got to be careful--- the idea is to warm it up not burn it up. Within 20 minutes you're good to go.

I also use a freeze plub block heater and a 5 amp float charger.

Coming soon is a coolant (tank) heater, battery heaters and a battery box under the passanger seat.

The propane torch is an old "logger" trick to start equipment in the woods where there isn't any electricity . It works.

jeli

Charcol works good too but hard to get a pan placed high enough of an MV.

At first I thought you were going to say you use it as a giant air preheater directly into the intake!!!!!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My problem with propane is the cold makes it difficult to get it to flow. I have to take my small torch and put it in the coffee cup holder right in front of the heater vent in my suburban for five minutes to get it to give enough pressure to light

eddiec

arctic kit

in regards to where can you find one. the m530 i sold had the kit on it, ie the oil pan, and battery compartment heater. since you were the first to ask bjorn, i will check with the person that bought the truck if you are interested. it had all the wiring, pump, and switch with it. just let me know.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: arctic kit

Thanks Eddie, appreciate the offer, looking forward to hear from you, hoping the new owner lives in a warm climate (I was about to say "warm place", but that didn't sound right). :).

jeli

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
My problem with propane is the cold makes it difficult to get it to flow. I have to take my small torch and put it in the coffee cup holder right in front of the heater vent in my suburban for five minutes to get it to give enough pressure to light
You need a bigger tank. The little ones get too cold. A 20 lb cylinder gives off enough vapor due to the increased volume. Or keep it inside. I've had to wrap a towel around the little tanks to keep it alive long enough to use the grill in sub zero temps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks