• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warm weather recovery of M923 from Fort Polk

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although we needed a light jacket in the morning, the temps were around 70 F and sunshine during the recovery (sorry Chadande:-D).

We got to the GL/DRMO yard at 10:15 and I asked Maxine (GL) if the truck started, and she said she had been using it to jump the other trucks to load out :jumpin:. My buddy and I spent time checking fluids, airing up the tires where needed, and checking to see what BII came with the truck - absolutely nothing! Otherwise, the truck had an overhaul in July 2011 with all new fluids and filters, new G177 tires, new paint (except inside the cab), new radiator, can't tell if the engine was rebuilt but it looks very fresh, and the bed cover was folded in the bed of the truck. I doubt the truck was driven much since the rebuild since the oil was still clear and fresh on the dipstick.

I saw the cover when previewing the auction the week before, so I knew it was there even though it wasn't in the GL photos or description. Of the 19 trucks in the sale, 4 had bed covers mounted, and only one other truck had a cover in the bed. This one was the "A0" version with duals and the NHC240 engine. I almost bid on one of the 4 A2 versions with the 6CTA8.3 engine, but it went for 2x the cost of my truck.

Expecting the worst, my buddy's truck was loaded with glad hand air hose with tire inflator, another air hose with a 3/4 impact wrench with tire size sockets, 15 gal of diesel, jack and cribbing, geared and regular lug wrenches, oil, fire extinguisher, antifreeze, water, and misc tool pouches. I turned the switch, and it started immediately like my M818s in warm weather, and faster than my 7.3 Powerstroke! We were back on the road and out the gate about an hour after arrival. I had no problem hitting 55 mph, but mainly cruised along the 2-lane roads at 50 mph @ 1850 rpm.

Things were going great, until the middle stave of the last bow fell off at 50 mph, but the chase truck picked it up after dodging it! I never even knew it was missing until we stopped for fuel an hour later. Also at that fuel stop, we came into a small town with several lights, and I started smelling burning brakes. When I pulled up to the diesel pumps, I was a little concerned that smoke was coming from driver side middle axle! :eek: Turns out, I was getting gear oil slung out on the inside of both sets of duals on that axle, and the worst one on the driver side got oil on the brakes and when I used the brakes several times in town, they got hot and started the burning smell and smoke. I was real glad I had brought the fire extinguisher, even if I didn't use it! I figured the rear seal may be leaking due to poor/lazy rebuild, but decided to continue on at 45 mph and minimize the brake use. I drove the next 12 miles of secondary roads and 47 miles of interstate without using my brakes once.

Another 10 miles and I stopped at a truck mechanic's shop I've used before and had the mechanic check it out. When he pulled the plug to check the gear oil level, he felt a pressure relief. Turns out the axle bobble-head vents were stopped up and the pressure was forcing the gear oil past the rear seal. He only added about 1 qt of gear oil, and blew out the vents, so we all decided the bearings were probably still well greased and I could make it the remaining 85 miles home.

I still kept the speed to about 45mph and avoided the brakes as much as possible (love that automatic transmission downshifting - it really slows you down). Total seat time for the 200 miles was right at 4 hours, and that part was just as painful as the deuce and M818 driving. But I am in love with driving the power steering and automatic transmission of the M939 series trucks. :driver: Climbing the steepest hills and bridges, the speed only dropped maybe 10mph - nowhere near as much as the deuces and M818s. Overall, it was a great deal at less than 3.8 cents on the dollar that the taxpayers paid for it.

Photos are of the M923 resting in the pasture with friends this morning.

20130124_082356.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

chadande

Although we needed a light jacket in the morning, the temps were around 70 F and sunshine during the recovery (sorry Chadande:-D).
That's the way to do it. Cold recoveries suck.
I couldn't agree more on the power steering and auto trans. These things are really nice to drive!

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know what you mean - I made a cold recovery last Feb at ~24F in an unheated M818. I couldn't even get the usual engine heat you always fight in the summertime to come into the cab. We're just not used to handling that type of cold in LA.

Riftweaver

Nice looking truck, glad your recovery went well. I have heard of axle vents being plugged a lot of times.

It looks like a single color OD truck. Does your tarp in the back match?

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck, glad your recovery went well. I have heard of axle vents being plugged a lot of times.

Thanks,

It looks like a single color OD truck. Does your tarp in the back match?
I just glanced at it folded up, but I think it's the green camo pattern, not solid green.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw your truck yesterday as I was picking up some of those willard shipping containers. Someone yesterday had a lowboy picking up a m929 dump. Yours and most looked real good as I peaked at all except the dumps. Several had radio mounts and one had a laptop mount.

All those hmmv trailers were brand spanking new. Lots of folks today got a real deal.

Did you see those hmmv's in the back with 2 rear axles and work bodies with roll up doors? They would not let me take pics.

Congrads on your growing 5 ton family!

Juan

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at the M1102 trailers last week when I was there and they looked to only have storage wear from moving them from yard to yard. Most only 3 years old or so and never used and yes they were bargains. It's a shame those hmmv trucks wont go to auction. They have so many stacking up, they can't find enough police and fire departments to take them. NOW is when we need to change that outdated law - before they are all chopped up.

I also saw one crew removing all the BIIs from trucks just coming into the DRMO yard, which is why mine had no tools and no fire extinguisher - almost a catastrophy! :mad: That's why I bring so much stuff.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine had a stripped crescent brand Phillips screwdriver in the tool box and a small crescent wrench under the driver's seat wedged in the back and a padlock with key on the seat. Everything else was history..........

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool! Those lanes on that old bridge seem narrow in a normal truck, I was concentrating real hard to stay in my lane and not hit the bridge concrete rail so if you waved, I didn't see you.

goldneagle

Cool! Those lanes on that old bridge seem narrow in a normal truck, I was concentrating real hard to stay in my lane and not hit the bridge concrete rail so if you waved, I didn't see you.
I am so glad I was not the only one that had that thought coming back from Ft. Polk recoveries with my M820A2 and the M923. It's nice to know I am not alone.

Stop by and visit. We can compare notes on the trucks. GE

poorman4x4

Yeah, good looking truck though, I thought you just recovered it or a drmo employee bringing to the ANG base in baton rouge, that old bridge does make you nervous I cross it quite frenquently with my 923, if y'all deer hunt man below that bridge are the most deer you've ever seen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks