• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warn 27270 winch - anyone know how the controller is wired? 1986 M1038

dace

I have a M1038 with a 6,000 lb electric Warn winch. This is controlled by a controller with a square plug from the schematics I have found. However mine is missing any type of controller or controller wire and I am assuming I need to wire a new one. I cannot find any schematics that explain how the original controller was wired into the winch. The schematic shows the plug/wire going into the solenoid box but not how its wired.

Anyone know how to wire up a new controller?

See below.

winch.JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winches of this type are all wired the same, if it has 4 contactors (as shown in the picture you posted) then two are switched on for forward and two for reverse.
You should have these "pairs" already wired together, usually the "pairs" are crisscrossed not beside each other (very clear in the second example)
Here is a couple examples.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few more examples of how it's all wired when the control box has 4 solenoids and no OLI (overload interrupter, AKA thermal switch) and/or ECL (electronic current limiter)....
Winch control pack schematic.PNG

Remote switches normally have 3 wires: WHITE goes directly to the large terminal coming from BAT (+); GREEN connects to solenoids 1 & 4 (= power-in) and BLACK to 2 & 3 solenoids.

I have also attached a Warn Winch Manual which is generic for most models and has helped me in the past.
(original PDF is 40MB, now compressed to about 4MB to be able to post it here)

Everything electric is well explained on pages 15 & 16.

Attachments