• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warn PN64402 or Powerplant on 84 M1009

paramilusmc

Warn Industries - Military and Severe Duty Winches: Severe Duty 12 Deep Fording

What do you guys think about mounting this to a M1009 CUCV Blazer? Thinking I could just wire it into the 24 volt system, (haven't changed it yet). I know its a little much for a 3/4 ton truck (rated at 9000lbs) but this thing is designed for fording, and i think that's just cool.

Yes its 4000 bucks, but I am thinking the only other option is this guy:
Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: PowerPlant HP

Less than half the price, 12 volt, but battery suggestions are 650 CCA minimum. I have no idea what that means or if my M1009 meets those requirements.

I plan to mount it like this:

Pic used for an example only.

Attachments

axlr8

It means 650 cold cranking amps if Im not wrong.....and I think it looks fine, as long as its gonna hang one big A$$ hook on itself....haha

paramilusmc

I am all about the heavy duty. But for the cost, I do think the power plant is more economical, wouldn't want to stimulate the economy or anything by buying big. I wonder what the water resistance of the powerplant is?

I do want the versatility to switch the winch out from the front to the back. I think this set up will work great either way I go.

Last edited:

SGT LongT

I like the idea of having the compressor combined with the winch as well, but I really like the security of the sealed winch. I don't know if taking apart the winch voids the warranty, but it might be possible to seal winch yourself using RTV and silicone. Also check out the classifieds on this site as there are two warn winches for sale, and one of them is the deep fording model. If I got a hold of a warn deep fording winch for a great price I would probably end up using a pancake compressor on an inverter:) This site just makes the gear turn non stop :beer:

paramilusmc

Well I have been thinking more and more about this and the more I do I think, these much be at least semi sealed, I mean thinking that highway speeds, coupled with heavy rains? How can you mack a product that cant withstand that. Thanks for the lead on the winches, I have however E-mailed Warn directly and asked about the winches water resistant properties. I will post here their response once received.

bpcole

I put a Mile Marker 10,500lb hydro winch on my 1008. Its a HMMWV takeoff and can be operated underwater as well.
Its also wired for the 24volt systems. Hydro is slow, but boy is it strong!

paramilusmc

Here is the response from Warn. On the subject of the 9500 powerplant

The winch is water resistant meaning seals are in place to prevent moisture penetration, that being said submersion may lead to water finding a way inside the winch. Road spray, 4x4 activities, car washing are all examples of normal exposure – 2300psi pressure washing the gear housing or drum will get past the seals quickly.

48cj2a

Unless they have changed a lot the military warn winches we've installed on Hummers were just heavily coated in some type of undercoating to seal them.

Also the only thing 24v on a CUCV is the starting circuit and military accessories. Just buy a good 12v system winch and apply the savings to winch accessories like snatch blocks, tree savers, tow straps, gloves etc.

treessw

just a thought on the winch rating. I use winchs of all kinds on our trucks for work, smallest we have is a 12,000 rear mount winch on the back of one of our trucks, it is also a worm gear winch. We run hydraulic and electric. You had stated in i believe your first post about the line pull being more than needed. As a rule of thumb, double the weight of the truck when you are considering the single line pull. If your truck is 5500, than look for a winch that is rated for 11k plus or minus. You will never have to worry about getting unstuck. You can always double your line with a block, but if you dont have enough line it does no good unless you have a close anchor point. I have never had any problems with any of our winch's and moisture. A little tlc on any winch every once in a while gets you a long way. Also consider swaping out your cable with samson fiber winch line. It is thin and you can put more on the spool and sometimes get a higher wt. raiting. It also removes the risk of the line snapping and flailing around and injurying or killing someone. Also no more cable fray's. Both are great choices and you will be happy with either. just my 2cents

paramilusmc

Hey how would you lock the winch to your tuck if you meant for it to be able to be removed and relocated to the back of your CUCV? Thinking that if it would be easy for me to remove and relocate then if would be just as easy for someone who would want my winch for their own as well. Chain, cable, padlock? looped around the bumper? What had you guys done?

treessw

Hey how would you lock the winch to your tuck if you meant for it to be able to be removed and relocated to the back of your CUCV? Thinking that if it would be easy for me to remove and relocate then if would be just as easy for someone who would want my winch for their own as well. Chain, cable, padlock? looped around the bumper? What had you guys done?
You can use a locking hitch pin if you keep it on there. Otherwise just take it off and store it, but these set ups are heavy and cumbersome. Warn sells the power cables you can run to the back and the front.

treessw

The more and more I think about this I lean toward the powerplant. I wonder if I can just order it from Warn with the rope instead of the cable?
Forgot to put this on my last post. I think warn could supply you with fiber cable or atleast recomend you to a good replacement. There are all sorts of suitable replacements. The power plant is a good choice especially for the simple fact you are killing two birds with one stone. Air needs and recovery efforts [thumbzup] I carry compressors on some off my trucks due to work, so winchs are just that... winchs. If you are really looking to use this for alot of off road and wheeling, you may want to consider mounting front and rear winchs. Do a nice one up front like the power plant and another on the back of lesser $. Tabor makes several suitable winch's and is actually produced by warn but with a differnt name therefore being less money. I use both and also ramsey. Never had any problems with any of them

scrambled

The rope and hook are 1/2" braided synthetic line. I bought it from a guy in florida that owns a hummer pimp-out shop. I cannot remember the shop name, but very few people had 1/2" synthetic. The steel cable I pulled off was over 75 pounds. It was rediculous!

The base is just the warn transformer base for the 15k and 16.5k setup. You can order individual pieces instead of the whole transformer kit. I had to notch the plate a bit to fit on my mounting tubes, but it took all of 30 mins to weld up and bolt in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks