• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warning, if you are on the Florida West Coast from Napels to St. Joe, do not run your Generators until after storm surge recinds

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The current predictions and information we are getting from Pine Island is intense Storm Surge which is approaching already 4 Feet at this point on Land with a rising high tide.
Expected Surge can be up to 10 Feet.

Do not run your Generator if your in this area between Naples and St. Joseph north of Tampa / St. Pete

Ft. Myers and Cape Coral are predicted to be completely under water here within the next few hours.

The same goes for Manatee County and the area of Venice, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda

We pray for you and keep our fingers crossed!

Peter

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We pray, indeed!

@peapvp, please explain why they shouldn't run the generator until water has receded - for our non-engineer readers and owners.
Simple,
If your generator is not about 11 feet above ground it will drown

if the generator is running at this point and powering something, like your house, then the potential for electrical shock is tremendous……
A cold non running generator can be more easily rebuilt after being drowned in salt and brack water compared to a Genset which was running while being drowned

Water and electricity do not mix well

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck to all in the area. My parents are currently vacationing on Marco Island... 7 floors up in a CAT 5 rated hotel. Im told tons of first responder personnel are in the same place as a working base.
I work for the American Red Cross out of my home in NC. I've been reading blurbs from management about preparedness. We are ready to provide blood and lend a hand with shelters, food, water and all aspects of our humanitarian mission. Our legions of volunteers are trained, ready and eager to serve. They are the best! I am proud to be able to post this message with confidence.

May God bless Floridians and all who may find themselves in peril from this monster of a storm.

Evvy-

Demoh

We pray, indeed!

@peapvp, please explain why they shouldn't run the generator until water has receded - for our non-engineer readers and owners.
As I’m down here doing generator work (it seems I’ve had family I’ve hauled generators to in every major storm since 2017) here is another reason:

Even though we are day+2 here with the water receding, I’m getting reports of some of the canals connected to the river are now rising again to property threatening levels due to the volume of water making its way back to the river.

What goes up must come down and water levels increasing on clear rainless days after the storm are a new concept to me even as this is my 4th hurricane recovery effort.

Of course those that close to water where they’ve had water intrusion to this level should NOT be connecting a generator to a structure until it has been dried and the electrical inspected. If you happen to be inhabiting a structure that got waterlogged because we do what we need to do in order to survive, nowhere to go, etc… use extension cords to power your critical items, making sure all connections are dry and cords are in good shape.

Stay safe.

Scoobyshep

Simple,
If your generator is not about 11 feet above ground it will drown

if the generator is running at this point and powering something, like your house, then the potential for electrical shock is tremendous……
A cold non running generator can be more easily rebuilt after being drowned in salt and brack water compared to a Genset which was running while being drowned

Water and electricity do not mix well
As seen on my office wall

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks