• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WARNING!! More M998 Fastners to Check

70deuce

M988 owners take note. Jacked up the right rear to change a worn tire on my 1985 M998 won back in February. Once the tire was off the ground I noticed quite a bit of side to side movement of the wheel assembly. Crawled underneath and found the reason. The tie rod end assembly was loose in its socket. At least 1/8th of play between the tie rod end nut and the knuckle mount. Took out the cotter pin and I could turn the nut by hand. I had noticed some tracking drift on our dirt roads and now I know why. Figured I better check the other three knuckles and guess what, all loose. While checking the left front also discovered both tie rod locking clamps were way loose allowing that tie rod to turn freely. Arrows on the picture show the offending hardware. It appears we have another set of hardware to check for tightness/security with these vehicles.

Attachments

Action

sounds like basic stuff that would normally be checked with a new purchase.
this is one of the reasons i don't know why guys drive off the lot without checking stuff like this and all the fluids. i would hate to have to replace hubs or diff for something a tow would have prevented.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like basic stuff that would normally be checked with a new purchase.
this is one of the reasons i don't know why guys drive off the lot without checking stuff like this and all the fluids. i would hate to have to replace hubs or diff for something a tow would have prevented.

Spot on...all chassis and steering components should be checked by a qualified mechanic...same as any used vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks