• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(Was) Stranded in North Florida Woodbine with second blowout and no spare anymore. Case resolved.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are stranded in Georgia Florida 31569 with our second blowout and no spare tire left.

Is there a member within aprox. 250 miles where we can buy a tire from. Or can somebody recommend anybody here in North Florida that has LMTV tires. 395/85R20

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We are stranded in Woodbine Florida 31569 with our second blowout and no spare tire left.

Is there a member within aprox. 250 miles where we can buy a tire from. Or can somebody recommend anybody here in North Florida that has LMTV tires. 395/85R20

Member @Floridianson or @FloridaAKM would be the nearest people to you to help near Jacksonville. You mean Woodbine, georgia.

Not sure on an LMTV but we used to chain up the axles on the 5 tons to get down the road. Move the blowout to the non pulling intermediate axle and chain it up. And move the good tire to the rear

I can have tires shipped to a terminal in Jacksonville but it would be Monday probably before they got there.

FloridaAKM

Excellent, Glad you found a way around the blown tire issue. The only spare I have is on the truck.

Anyway, Woodbine is in Georgia, an hour North of Jacksonville. Your tire supplier was perfect for you in location & ability to get you back on the road with a spare +.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Member @Floridianson or @FloridaAKM would be the nearest people to you to help near Jacksonville. You mean Woodbine, georgia.

Not sure on an LMTV but we used to chain up the axles on the 5 tons to get down the road. Move the blowout to the non pulling intermediate axle and chain it up. And move the good tire to the rear

I can have tires shipped to a terminal in Jacksonville but it would be Monday probably before they got there.
Pretty sure you can't do that on a MTV due to the "differential between rear pair of axles" that sits inside the Power Divider Box (PWB). AKA the big chunk of iron attached to the front axle in the pair. This differential will consider the axle tied up as "slipping" thus send all power to it (that is what differentials do) so it will just spin and axle on the ground does nothing or very little...... then the differential-ish behavior of the AWD Tcase will feel the rear is slipping the most and start sending all power to that as well..... now your going pretty much nowhere fast.

now that said there is a locker on this differential between rear pair of axles" that sits inside the PWB. One could conceivably tie up one of the rear pair... and supply full time air to the air solenoid directly on back of the Power Divider Box to force activation of the locker. Normally air is only supplied to that solenoid when in 4x4 MODE. This will cause both axles to spin.... including one on the ground. The axle on the ground does NOT have a locker inside it (between the wheels) so it will corner as normal.

also though it is NOT in the TM's and this is NOT supported by Allison (word I got directly from Allison tech... it was not even tested so they honestly do not know) you (at your own risk) can drive on the front axle only; in 4x4, by pulling rear driveline or axle shafts and cutting out air to the PWB's solenoid if needed. Not sure how best to cut air... suspect you would have to plug the hose that leads to it.

Know personally of an LMTV truck that was driven From GA to Missouri that way with no ill effects to the tranny as judged by a later tranny disassembly by an Allison tech.

coachgeo

Put the new tires on the front axle. You do not want a blow out there.

PS- IMHO replace all your NON Mtv Goodyears. Might as well do it now..... the ones you have are more prone to blow outs than the goodyear. (they have lower speed rating if I recall right) YMMV .... others report no much problems... but seems anecdotally those tires do blow out more.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Probably better buy atleast 6 and any 1600s you can find Since you are planning on driving another LMTV and towing an MTVR. Thats alot of tires that could blow on your trip

Like a fallen member would always say. "Your lack of preparedness doesn't constitute an emergency on our part". So plan ahead on needing more tires

Last edited:

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are now in Bishopville SC , the truck is running very smooth no new blowouts so far .

The truck is running perfectly ,no problems besides the 2 blowouts we hat .

Tomorrow 500 Miles to our final destination Marriottsville MD.

Berend

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We arrived yesterday evening around 1am in Marriottsville. We didn’t run into other problems luckily . Overall a nice adventure again.

Today we started on installing high speed gears on my friends A1R

ramdough

We arrived yesterday evening around 1am in Marriottsville. We didn’t run into other problems luckily . Overall a nice adventure again.

Today we started on installing high speed gears on my friends A1R

Nice! Still looking forward to someone posting a video on YouTube.

Is there any issue with dangling the drive shafts like that? Thinking a lot of side pressure on a seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

yeah record please your process and do a write up as well* . Folk have discussed the option of doing it via the king pin removal method but not done a write up on doing it that way. Been debated if it is harder or easier.

*suggest do write up in a new thread on the topic...maybe put link to here to tie the saga together?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks