• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was Stuck in M923A2, learned many lessons

Pretty wild time it looks like. Glad you got out. I shouldn't mention I have a m816 wrecker that I could have used for you, and chains for that truck. If you get in a spot again, I'm not very far and I have several to choose from. Would have given me a chance to use my 2 1/2 ton with a winch.

Last edited:

todds112

Pretty wild time it looks like. Glad you got out. I shouldn't mention I have a m816 wrecker that I could have used for you, and chains for that truck. If you get in a spot again, I'm not very far and I have several to choose from. Would have given me a chance to use my 2 1/2 ton with a winch.
Appreciate that! I was talking to the tow driver and told him to get on GovPlanet and look at the wreckers. They have a large semi wrecker, but no way it would make it in to where I was.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
One thing you didn't mention was load. An empty truck has almost no traction when you get in deep do do.
I keep a big pile of gravel in the yard in case I have to drive on snow (not very likely in AL but it did happen in 2013).
It is amazing what a difference a few thousand pounds of ballast in the bed makes.
Did you try it in Low Range or leave it in High? It will pull better in Low and the tires won't spin as fast giving better traction.
Look at this is a life lesson....we have all been there at one time or another.

DavidWymore

18 is still too much in my opinion. 5 or less in the back, 10 or less in the front.

Air up a bit when your extract yourself from the sh*t
This. I may not be a 6x6 expert (yet), but I have done a lot of offroading. When you get low, below 15 psi, one or two pounds makes a lot of difference, esp. the lower you go.

6x6s are nose heavy, and winches make it worse, but then you have something to yank yourself out.

todds112

It was empty and basically the back tires weren't doing much of anything anything. Plan "C" was to start loading as much wood and crap in the back as I could find. My luck a forest ranger would have cited me for illegally hauling firewood!! It was in low range. In high range the motor just bogged down and wouldn't even spin the tires until the engine reved up to higher RPM.

I figured I should have gone even lower in pressure.

dmetalmiki

Fascinating story, glad you resolved it. Getting stuck or breaking down solo off the beaten track or far away from base) is the absalute pits.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ballast is good. For a 6x6 , ballast as far back as the bed allows is even better. Not only does it add the weight you need in the back, it unloads the high ground pressure of the front tires.

turnkey

Glad you had a happy ending.....I plan on if it looks to easy stay on the main road...I cant see the road because of snow or mud...Nah thanks I stick to the main road.....Don't need that kind of fun....Got stuck in a freeze pocket with a combine in North Dakota on spring....Long story short got stuck in April got out of the hole in June.....Ya lots of fun..Ya sure thing...Glad you made it out OK.

greenjeepster

I have planted a few trucks myself. I drove a 6x6 front load concrete mixer for a few years so we were off road all the time. Thinking back the majority of the time it was the front axle that buried. That is even with the motor in the rear and 20 ton of concrete in the drum.

We would hook three trucks in tandem to pull out stuck trucks on jobs.... even that wasn't enough sometimes. Great story, but I think you got lucky on this one to be honest.

DavidWymore

Ballast is good. For a 6x6 , ballast as far back as the bed allows is even better. Not only does it add the weight you need in the back, it unloads the high ground pressure of the front tires.
Maybe some big gin poles off the back to hang some big weight off of, haha.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh crap! I was about 6 miles in and stuck in my 24,000 pound truck. I was alone.
I finally made the "walk of shame".

Yea the first time I had sex I was scared I was alone.
At least you were not dinner for a four legger and got the truck out with that (WOS) Walk Of Shame.

Last edited:

acme66

It is funny sometimes how much they will go through and yet how little will stop them. Looking at the pictures and not being there that looks like a fine place to turn around, I would have done it myself, likely with the same result. I bet the ground was still frozen permafrost style which is what kept it from sinking (thank god) but also from getting any traction. I once got a four wheel drive pickup stuck in a flat packed snow covered parking lot. Little divots, no traction and lack of momentum I guess. Glad your home.

Ken

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe if one would do a 10 point turn so the rear tandems would have never gotten of the road. Also carrie weapon in the woods.