• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was there a final correct answer on the LM/FMTVs being EMP proof ????

NEIOWA

Its not the EMP that will get you, it’s the significant nuclear blast needed to generate an EMP strong enough to actually kill a vehicle. If it’s close enough and big enough to kill your vehicle, it’s going to kill you in it.
The explosion at 80000ft (HEMP) will have no blast or radiation effects on the surface. A "weather balloon" being an ideal method to deploy it.

tgreening

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The explosion at 80000ft (HEMP) will have no blast or radiation effects on the surface. A "weather balloon" being an ideal method to deploy it.

I've said my bit on this subject, and since it's not my money being spent, more power to whomever. I've done enough research to be satisfied that an EMP attack is so low on the list of things to worry about as to not even be an issue. Research that didnt come from websites with Prep, Survive, or some derivative in their titles. There are numerous reasons this is a non-starter, but to each their own.

Guruman

Not so new member
I've said my bit on this subject, and since it's not my money being spent, more power to whomever. I've done enough research to be satisfied that an EMP attack is so low on the list of things to worry about as to not even be an issue. Research that didnt come from websites with Prep, Survive, or some derivative in their titles. There are numerous reasons this is a non-starter, but to each their own.
I'm with you on a man-made EMP.... not super likely.. but a grid ending CME from our sun is an eventual certainty. Not if, but when. We had a pretty close call on 4/23 and the aurora could be seen as far south as parts of Arizona.

We have observed massive CMEs that just happen to be pointed away from earth. Once one of these massive blast happen to come our way, whichever half of the earth happens to be in the way, will be offline for a good long while.

tgreening

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I don't really see that as making the case. An our long HF blackout, no matter how extensive, doesn't strike me as armageddon. As far as a "grid ending" solar CME, it's already happened. In 1989 one of the largest known ejections in modern history knocked the entire province of Quebec off the grid. For a whopping 12 hours. Quite an inconvenience for many people, but hardly the stuff of Hollywood apocalyptic proportions. There was no significant damage to the the US grid, the biggest effect being the loss of power we would have normally purchased from Canada, and most of that was limited to NY and some New England states. Not a single report of burned out automotive electronics btw.

People put too much stock in Hollywood depictions. Its why folks think suppressors make pistols go pfffft, defibrillators are used to restart hearts, and EMP is going to knock the entire planet back to the stone age.

The Day the Sun Brought Darkness

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
…mmmm, chances are you are right and it may never, ever happen. However, I never thumb my nose at Murphy’s Law, it always seems to have a way to rear its ugly head and bite you in the back side when you least expect it.
Mother Nature, I love her, but she can be a fickle B^tch sometimes.

Guruman

Not so new member
I don't really see that as making the case. An our long HF blackout, no matter how extensive, doesn't strike me as armageddon. As far as a "grid ending" solar CME, it's already happened. In 1989 one of the largest known ejections in modern history knocked the entire province of Quebec off the grid. For a whopping 12 hours. Quite an inconvenience for many people, but hardly the stuff of Hollywood apocalyptic proportions. There was no significant damage to the the US grid, the biggest effect being the loss of power we would have normally purchased from Canada, and most of that was limited to NY and some New England states. Not a single report of burned out automotive electronics btw.

People put too much stock in Hollywood depictions. Its why folks think suppressors make pistols go pfffft, defibrillators are used to restart hearts, and EMP is going to knock the entire planet back to the stone age.

No. It didn't "already happen". The 1989 event was weak, not strong. Orders of magnitude weaker than say, the 1859 Carrington event.

"In March 1989, a powerful solar flare provoked a geomagnetic storm which subsequently set off a major March 13 power blackout in Canada that left six million people without electricity for nine hours.
According to NASA the flare disrupted electric power transmission from the Hydro Québec generating station and even melted some power transformers in New Jersey. This solar flare was nowhere near the same scale as the Carrington event, NASA scientists said."

A weak pulse hitting a remote region of Canada taking out a few hundred transformers is not the same as a strong pulse hitting the east coast or Europe, taking out every power generator and transformer for a thousand miles.

What you are saying is akin to standing in a thunderstorm claiming that lightning is not dangerous, because it already hit somewhere else and it didn't do much. Yes, lightning strikes all the time without doing much damage, but, sometimes it fries everything you own and burns down your house. CMEs are the same, only on a longer timescale and bigger area.

The good news is that a solar event will not be global. Only the side of the earth facing the sun will take the direct hit. A bunch of things DO need to line up for it to be a big deal though. The CME has to be big, it has to pass through our magnetic field (depending on the alignment of the pulse, more or less can be absorbed by earth's magnetic field), and it has to impact us directly. Hitting the east coast of the US seems to me to be the biggest danger. We've already seen what a little disruption to the supply chain can do, and that was with zero damage to any infrastructure.

Not to mention the damage to satellites. How would young people today get anywhere without a phone with GPS to tell them how? Although taking out half the satellites would have SOME global reach. Starlink recently lost 50 million dollars worth of internet sats when a CME caused the atmosphere to expand into the low earth orbit. The extra atmospheric drag brought them down, not the pulse directly.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a Carrington event happened today and the U.S. was in a direct hit path it would be catastrophic for us in ways we can't even imagine. Wide spread power outages, gas stations immediately shut down, banks close, supermarkets run out of everything. No heat no air conditioning. People panic and then the fun begins.

This "X" event just happened 164 years ago and it's just a roll of the dice when it will happen again.

The power grid is is very vulnerable to this kind of hit.

Mark

tgreening

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. It didn't "already happen". The 1989 event was weak, not strong. Orders of magnitude weaker than say, the 1859 Carrington event.

"In March 1989, a powerful solar flare provoked a geomagnetic storm which subsequently set off a major March 13 power blackout in Canada that left six million people without electricity for nine hours.
According to NASA the flare disrupted electric power transmission from the Hydro Québec generating station and even melted some power transformers in New Jersey. This solar flare was nowhere near the same scale as the Carrington event, NASA scientists said."

A weak pulse hitting a remote region of Canada taking out a few hundred transformers is not the same as a strong pulse hitting the east coast or Europe, taking out every power generator and transformer for a thousand miles.

What you are saying is akin to standing in a thunderstorm claiming that lightning is not dangerous, because it already hit somewhere else and it didn't do much. Yes, lightning strikes all the time without doing much damage, but, sometimes it fries everything you own and burns down your house. CMEs are the same, only on a longer timescale and bigger area.

The good news is that a solar event will not be global. Only the side of the earth facing the sun will take the direct hit. A bunch of things DO need to line up for it to be a big deal though. The CME has to be big, it has to pass through our magnetic field (depending on the alignment of the pulse, more or less can be absorbed by earth's magnetic field), and it has to impact us directly. Hitting the east coast of the US seems to me to be the biggest danger. We've already seen what a little disruption to the supply chain can do, and that was with zero damage to any infrastructure.

Not to mention the damage to satellites. How would young people today get anywhere without a phone with GPS to tell them how? Although taking out half the satellites would have SOME global reach. Starlink recently lost 50 million dollars worth of internet sats when a CME caused the atmosphere to expand into the low earth orbit. The extra atmospheric drag brought them down, not the pulse directly.
Well NASA described it as powerful, so that’s good enough for me. Remote region of Canada? It was the entire province of Quebec, almost 2.5x the size of Texas, almost 3x the size of France. Not sure how they feel about being “remote”, Quebec City, Montreal and all that.

Can it happen? Of course. But just like your chances of being struck by lightning….. At the end of the day folks can spend their m8ney where they wish. I do not overly concern myself with EMP, whether man made or natural.

NEIOWA

Blissfully ignorant is a coping technique.

I'm not aware that Hollywierd has discovered HEMP or Carrington.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks