• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Washing after new paint?

jvrotter

Just paintred my M1009 with Gillespie 383 green and flat black and was retouching up a few spots. I washed off the hood to clean it up first and got some water spots that I couldn't remove. Ended up painting over them.
Question is how long should you wait to wash the vehicle after your paint?

WarrenD

One Month, minimum. Just let it sit, don't put on the letters, stars or other markings. I'd also protect it from getting wet, no washing. Gararge vehicle if possible.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The paints do need at least 48 hours to cure under 'normal' circumstances (several posts that I remember reading here). There will be a skim/surface dry in an hour or so, but the paint is still quite soft underneath. Even more so if you put it on thick. In California, a week of sunshine should do it. Cooler or cloudy conditions will take longer. The summer temps here in the south (2011) would probably bake the finish on in a day or so. YMMV.

flyxpl

Depends on the temp and paint . Gilispie in hot weather I would wait a couple days , in cold weather I would wait weeks . Ureathane just one day in warm weather would be good and a wash will cure it out ( dry ) even more . The hardener in ureathane actually pulls moisture out of the air to harden the paint . I can paint a car ,clearcoat it , bake it 18 minutes ,pull out of booth and hose it down with water to cool it off and help the paint cure , then buff it out and wash it ASAP . You can actually paint over water spots/ acid rain and the spots will come back though the new coat of paint .

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the water spots are calcium when I pull my boat out of the lake. A 10% vinegar in water solution will dissolve them. I have no idea what it will do to paint, this is the solution for fiberglass boats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks