• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Washing CARC paint??

Scuffy

Well here's a question for the group! I apoligize ahead of time if this is a stupid question but how does one wash a vehicle painted with CARC paint? Just as normal with soap and water? I am currently rebuilidng a '90 Jeep YJ from the ground up and I'm looking to paint the tub a "sand" color. A buddy of mine who works at a Army/Navy turned camping store still can order from surplus catalogs and has a set of 3 mil-spec camo paints each in a quart size container for around $15 (his cost). He told me about this when I inquired about CARC paint. I'm going in on Sunday to check the listing myself. But if this should turn out to be true CARC paint I'm gonna have a ball!

So I guess to get back on track- how do I wash a vehicle painted in such a flat paint?

Thanks guys!!
Scuffy

Blake

washing Carc

My 151a2 is painted solid CARC green (real carc). When I wash it, I scrub it with a scrub brush like you would clean your bathroom/kitchen floor and use murphys oil soap or cashwash soap mixed with water. The carc texture will tear up a sponge and a cloth will leave lint/pieces of the cloth all stuck to the body

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually pressure my trucks...no soap or scrubbing...and everything comes out clean! I am not sure why you'd have to scrub. Be careful not to set the pressure washer on the highest setting as you can literally write in the CARC with the water! I've never done it, but I've seen it happen.

NEIOWA

Let me make sure I understand.

You're going to take a perfectly usable civilian vehicle and paint it with POS CARC paint???? And then wash it??

I assume the next step is waxing the paint and armorall the tires. Or perhaps brakefluild for the tires?

Scuffy

lol Yeah, I'm painting it with CARC paint! But.... the soap didn't necessarily matter in the equation. I just wondered how to clean it so as to not have gobs of stuff stuck in the texture, like bits of sponge and such. He!! it's a Jeep- they weren't meant to look clean and pretty! (No offense meant to anyone if they have them but it's not like it's an H3! lol) Just looking for something that's durable and sharp. I did my motorcycle in John Deere Blitz Black this past year and it turned out pretty damn nice. It has that rockabilly look, I'd guess you call it, the satin black. Pretty smooth look and tough as nails. Thanks for the input guys! :D

papercu

Carc

When the military uses the M13 practice Decon unit in cold weather they wash the vehicles in 50/50 antifreeze.
BTY I have the practice washer units over in the FS Ads. Heavy duty brush and pressure system for cleaning your vehicle in the field. Wayne

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
perhaps before the environazis came along did they use the 50/50... Try doing that today, and the EPA is up your butt, and they dont care that your military doing military training, decon or swapping out power packs and a gallon of oil hits the ground...... Been there, done that, and the Division paid the fine.....

Jones

The whole thing about CARC is that, applied right, it's a continuous urethane "skin". Our instructions say to spray the entire vehicle with the 383 green coat then apply the other colors over the green. This keeps you from having unprotected primer areas there chemical agents can stick/soak in. Granted CARC is about as flat a finish as you can get but it isn't porous like other flats or primers. Wash with a bristle brush and soap if so desired. All you're doing is dislodging the dirt from the surface.

rmgill

Bear in mind that DS2 is basically a bleach solution. I think it's effectively part standard household bleach, 10 parts water. At least that's what a friend in the chemical corps told me a few years ago.

papercu

DS2

You might want to check your source again. DS2 is NOT household bleach and water. It is an ammonia-based detergent
You might be thinking of STB (Super Tropical Bleach) which is used as a decontamination also but I don't think it's close to being a household bleach either.

trukhead

DIrty MV's

When my MV's get dirty, The most effective method I've found and the only one I have practiced is leave the MV in the rain and after enough wash and rinse cycles, presto, another Clean MV!!

:driver::jumpin::cookoo::beer::mrgreen:2cents

Thanks for the smiley faces to play with!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks