• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste oil and Glowplugs

max1008

Last summer I began running waste oil, mostly old motor oil. I mixed it at 60% diesel/40% oil. When the temps got cool I switched back over to 100% diesel. When it got really cold I had to replace all my glow plugs because a handful of them were trashed.

Do you think the fuel oil is the cause to the burned out glow plugs?

Do you think that if i turn off my glow plugs this summer the truck will still start?

DXTAC

I USED to run WMO after it was heated (to evaporate ANY water), ran it through a centrifuge AND a filter bag. It was all oil and nothing else. I did run it year round as well and just like you I ran only about 25% in summer and maybe 10% in winter. I was driving home from work one day last summer and lost all power. I limped Mongo home, changed the fuel filter hoping it was going to be a clogged filter. After $1000 or so and the install of the new IP, GP's, fuel lines and injectors I no longer run WMO. It MAY have been coincidence but I no longer do it. In case you are interested, I may know where you can get a complete WMO filter system or just the fuge for a reasonable price?!?! :)

Thx,

camogriz

I'm not sure if this helps, but I do not run WMO and I have a problem arise every winter. My M1009 will become hard to start in the cold and eventually will become almost impossible to start. I find that the number 2,3 and 4 glow plugs on the driver's side and number 2 and 3 glow plugs on the passenger side are not working. I believe that it starts with one plug going bad and subsequent attempts to start the truck will cause the rest to go bad, eventually making it really hard to start it and really cold days will leave it stuck where it is until I replace the plugs with new ones. I have tried Autolite and AC Delco glow plugs with no difference.

kapnklug

Hey DXTAC,
Tell me more about the centrifuge system you may want to part with, including price. PM please.
I've been running WMO for a while in small concentrations and haven't blown anything up yet...

I'm not sure if this helps, but I do not run WMO and I have a problem arise every winter. My M1009 will become hard to start in the cold and eventually will become almost impossible to start. I find that the number 2,3 and 4 glow plugs on the driver's side and number 2 and 3 glow plugs on the passenger side are not working. I believe that it starts with one plug going bad and subsequent attempts to start the truck will cause the rest to go bad, eventually making it really hard to start it and really cold days will leave it stuck where it is until I replace the plugs with new ones. I have tried Autolite and AC Delco glow plugs with no difference.
That's exactly what happens on the stock GP system. You should do a glow plug resistor bypass. It's a really quick mod, and it stops the cascading failure. Search for it, there are several good threads on it.

max1008

I did my glow plugs for the first time this fall. And when i was in there I replaced the solenoid and bypassed the resistor.

I wasnt sure if it was just coincidence that my gp's went bad due to waste oil or just because they have never been done in 26 years.

Will these truck start in warm weather with the glow plugs unplugged?

max1008

thanks. I guess Ill try waste oil again this summer and see how it goes. 70$ for a set of plugs is well worth the savings I will make in running oil.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There is the possibility that there was a cascade failure of the stock plugs prior to the resistor bypass. These trucks will still start with a bad GP or three.

Vhyle

Yeah, my truck has two bad GPs now. 7 of them are stock, and the last one is a Wellman. The Wellman and a stock one are bad. I haven't done the GP resistor bypass yet, and I won't until I can replace the GP relay. I did the bypass before but the voltage wasn't enough to overcome the old, worn-out GP relay so it wouldn't start, so I reverted it back. I'm not worried about it yet. The truck in its stock form with 2 bad GPs has started every time, no problem.

Soon, I'll replace them with 60Gs, new GP relay and THEN I'll do the bypass. I'll wire in a manual GP switch as well.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, my truck has two bad GPs now. 7 of them are stock, and the last one is a Wellman. The Wellman and a stock one are bad. I haven't done the GP resistor bypass yet, and I won't until I can replace the GP relay. I did the bypass before but the voltage wasn't enough to overcome the old, worn-out GP relay so it wouldn't start, so I reverted it back. I'm not worried about it yet. The truck in its stock form with 2 bad GPs has started every time, no problem.

Soon, I'll replace them with 60Gs, new GP relay and THEN I'll do the bypass. I'll wire in a manual GP switch as well.
You do realize that by having two bad plugs, you've increased the voltage the other 6 see right? That's why it's called a cascade failure.

Maybe, those 6 will hold out. But it makes it easier for the next one and the next one to pop as they fail due to increased voltage.

chevyCUCV

First time i ran WMO i was near 100% for weeks, Coked my injectors and it smoked badly

When i removed them i found that all of my glow plug tips were gone.

I imagine the injectors were pissing fuel and eroded them away?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First time i ran WMO i was near 100% for weeks, Coked my injectors and it smoked badly

When i removed them i found that all of my glow plug tips were gone.

I imagine the injectors were pissing fuel and eroded them away?
The 6.2 is a IDI diesel. Meaning that the injector sits inside a pre-combusion chamber. The glow plug also indexes into the pre-cup as well. I don't personally run WMO in my CUCV (or my Samurai with a VW 1.6 diesel that also is a IDI).

The glow plugs have a ceramic coating to them. I'd imagine they're acting like a wick to soak up the heavy oils. Diesel, being a light oil, would burn off fast from it.

That's purely my speculation though.

5moker

You do realize that by having two bad plugs, you've increased the voltage the other 6 see right? That's why it's called a cascade failure.

Maybe, those 6 will hold out. But it makes it easier for the next one and the next one to pop as they fail due to increased voltage.
My GPs on a push button. I just picked it up and am new to the 24 volt system. I checked on of the glow plug wires and was geting 19 volts on number one. I didn't go any further assuming they were all getting power. What should my voltage be at the glow plug? I just picked up my first MV m1009. Very little rust. Mostly unmolested. Wire from ignition to GP relay still intact if I want the glow plugs back on the switch. Of course I will need a control card as the wait light never goes out. Tried cleaning the conections. Most of the truck had dirty connections, EG-lights, starter relay. All working now just won't run... Glow plugs and compression test comming up.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My GPs on a push button. I just picked it up and am new to the 24 volt system. I checked on of the glow plug wires and was geting 19 volts on number one. I didn't go any further assuming they were all getting power. What should my voltage be at the glow plug? I just picked up my first MV m1009. Very little rust. Mostly unmolested. Wire from ignition to GP relay still intact if I want the glow plugs back on the switch. Of course I will need a control card as the wait light never goes out. Tried cleaning the conections. Most of the truck had dirty connections, EG-lights, starter relay. All working now just won't run... Glow plugs and compression test comming up.
12v

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks