• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Heater Stuff

Third From Texas

Since I've decided to add propane to the build, I'm now pondering gas water heaters.

The catch is the $300 budget...

This one is 2.6g/m. Not sure about the "no vent technology".

This one is 3.1 g/m with a standard 90 degree vent setup.

I had been looking at electrics:

Any input/suggestions (within budget)? Gas/electric? Tank/tankless?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I've decided to add propane to the build, I'm now pondering gas water heaters.

The catch is the $300 budget...

This one is 2.6g/m. Not sure about the "no vent technology".

This one is 3.1 g/m with a standard 90 degree vent setup.

I had been looking at electrics:

Any input/suggestions (within budget)? Gas/electric? Tank/tankless?
look at point of origin 115 volt hot water shower head just plumb it in on the shower head and gally sink if you need hot water at the sink and dont take up any room and only heats when you turn the water on !

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With your budget.. yeah.. that's gonna be an issue.

Most propane water heaters for RVs are somewhat like home water heaters. They maintain temperature in their small reservoir (usually 2-3 gallons), but are running constantly to maintain the temperature, even if you're not using it.

You're doing good looking at on-demand systems, whether it's 120V or Propane is your choice... and they're not that much more expensive. The fancier ones I've seen allow you to set a temperature, meaning no fiddling with hot and cold water to get the right temp, you set the temp and just run the water. Especially important if you wanna conserve water.

It's extremely important also to find out what the lower limit is, in terms of heating. Not all heaters can maintain a low(er) water temperature...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, a "suicide shower head". I stayed in a B&B in Scotland that had one of those. Scary...
Yea pretty much the rest or the world uses them with no problems and hey it wont be electrical shock that takes you out! Probably gunfire from law enforcement when they raid your bunker full of victoms and elderly slaves and random stolen truck parts !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This guys says that they are pretty safe. Aside from the breaker tripping and the smell of burned wires,

LOL

The one i used was differnt and i took the showerhead off mine and mounted the unit in the closet behind the bathroom and tied the water line feeding my shower tower so the only thing that goes thru the wall is the hose feeding the tower and its pluged into the 110 wall plug in the closet .

Third From Texas

If you use the on demand electric unit you will need a converter that can take a large draw or you will have to run your generator when using it.
Shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll have the power (~1500w solar and a 6000w gen) and like the electric radiant floor, not something that runs long (given the hab has 60k BTU of diesel heater). I really only need enough for a quick shower, so on-demand makes sense. And I'm not one of these people who hesitate to roll some coal into the genset as needed.

;)

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you are now planning to have propane, you might consider a tankless propane unit like the Marey 5L that I used on my build. I like the fact that its ignition source is 2 D cell batteries. Since my water pump is 12V I can take a hot shower without turning on the generator or the inverter. At least when I bought mine it was well within your budget, too.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well its daylight down there now! Are you working on that truck ? Whats the hold up?

coachgeo

shop facebook market place and craigslist for a used LP one. IMHO get a on demand one. Got my LP RV on demand unit for 100 bucks. I will likely add a hot a insulated water tank that gets heated when engine is running or diesel fired coolant heater is running... then they on demand will rarely need to turn on

coachgeo

Shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'll have the power (~1500w solar and a 6000w gen) and like the electric radiant floor, not something that runs long (given the hab has 60k BTU of diesel heater). I really only need enough for a quick shower, so on-demand makes sense. And I'm not one of these people who hesitate to roll some coal into the genset as needed.

;)
have you been even 1/4 mile back in the woods, 1/4 mile away from your closest person when said neighbor camper kicks on their diesel gen set...... ITS LOUD AS SHIAT.... can absolutely RUIN your camping experience. Don't be that person (A-hole)

sounds like with all your other available hot water generating sources... you likely will never be one of them...... but if you by chance end up at that spot... yes do hesitate.

coachgeo

first..... most hot water use is bathing....... well actually NOT bathing it is "rinsing" aka- soap works by bringing dirt and oils to skin surface. more so when use wash cloth to dig it out of skins cells raising more grim and oils to surface. Water your using; "rinses" the stuff away. ( AKA soap is a surfactant- pulls stuff to surface and the rinse is what actually takes it away)....

so don't use soap..... not kidding.... use what nasa, hospitals, nursing homes etc. use. (NOT surfactant.. uses different tech).... much better technology and uses only ounces of water. per person for WHOLE body wash. Now you only need heat for comfort... tiny heater plumbed into the room your washing in .... make it a sauna if you like. save water for drinking/cooking.

Soap is old old technology to use for bathing; that we humans use out of habit....... NOT LOGIC. You will need more wash cloths... and have to wash more fabric s in your cloths washing system.... even with that added wash load.....you cut significantly your water use. (or load up adult size baby-wipes and use them as fire starter when done)

. No Rinse shampoo - comes in gallon container.. I have to cut it 50/50 to keep my head from itching. Will last you maybe 50 old man hair washes.
. No Rinse body wash- gallon container CONCENTRATE.... will last you hmmm.. 100-200? washes.
. rubbing alcohol for those super sweaty times. Little bit of it cut to 50% is fine
. some woman's face wash (a no rinse type- often this is hidden in the directions on back of bottle). Great for soft skin areas if you need it.

Last edited:

coachgeo

PS- just in case you dont know....
. Propane is heavier than air... vent required if storage tank is in a cabinet and vent has to be LOWWWWWW-est point to prevent vented fumes from collecting
. Propane tank storage/connection space if in a cabinet by RV standards (standards pushed by FIRE MARSHALS and once opposed by RV industry) is it must have ZERO air flow to living space and NOT be accessible from inside living space.
. SUGGEST TO FOLLOW SAME GUIDELINES
. repeat first step

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks